What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi-new here with gymnamphora question

hello im new here from sanantonio,tx.
i recieved a n. gymnamphora recently with a healthy top/growing point and a brittle, dry,damaged bottom/root system. its in my terrarium now with the leaves slowly dying up the plant. i would like to save this plant and not lose it because it was expensive/hassle to get.
can i take a cutting of it? i think the roots are gone but can i cut the top healthy part and root it as a new plant? this part has two developing pitchers. is this safe to do? appreciate any help thanks!

send it back. otherwise yes you can do that.

it's a very nice species.

You can cut the stem and try rooting the top as long as there is a bit of stem still left! Although I would also agree that if you purchased it from a nursery and it arrived in that condition...Get your money back! or a replacement!

Tony

ha yeah i got my money back. on the other hand the cephalotus i got from you tony is doing great! it has plenty of stem left about 4-5". i think ill have to cut off the two lower leaves. im going to do this after i eat some spaghetti and garlic bread!

I would also like to grow N.gymnamphora. What sort of night temps should I be shooting for. In the back greenhouses of the Atlanta Botanical Gardens it grows along with lowlands and intermediates(highland alata, spathulata, maxima, ventricosa etc.). Can it be grown as a lowland/intermediate?
It has an altitude range from 600m-2800m so it grows as a lowland-ultrahighland in nature. I estimate my terrerium hits 80F during the day and 68f at night.

With that range I'm sure you can grow it. I live in warm Hawaii and it does very well for me. I had a hard time with pitchers on this one until I placed smaller potted plants of this species into a larger basket filled it with leaves and twigs and the pitchers actually lasted longer and produced more of them nestled in between the forest debris.
I also tried this with N. pectinata with good results too!

Michael

Back