What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi, i'm new - i've just bought a flytrap - tips?

I have bought quite a small venus flytrap - it has eight rather large traps a loads of tiny ones - 6 of them are digesting - I'm a bit worried that I'll over feed it!
sad.gif
Also there was a flower stalk and I cut it off because I read on a different site it indangers the plant! If U wanna know how just ask! Basically I'm just introducing myself
biggrin.gif
and I'd like to make friends! I'm quite young though - I don't know why I told U that!
confused.gif

Anyway what I wanted to say was....well......HI!
tounge.gif

Hi lil flytrap,

smile.gif
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif
!!!!!!!!WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
smile.gif
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif

Hehe, wow that is fun.

Congratulations on your first (and by far not the last) venus flytrap. normally you would feed one trap at a time, and not usually continuously. The traps only really open and close a certain number of times before they cease to function.

Cutting off the flower stalk is usually a good idea if your plant isn't in tip top condition. From the sounds of it, if it is small, you'd most likely want the vft to concentrate on the leaves and traps rather than the flower so it gets bigger faster, and doesn't waste the energy.

Being young doesn't matter here at all, just the love for the plants.
wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (BobZ @ April 10 2003,7:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">For everything you want to know about your VFT start at
http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq2000.html
and then, if you want more
http://www.dionea.homestead.com/nonexistent.html
http://science.howstuffworks.com/venus-flytrap.htm
http://www.dangerousplants.com/grow_traps.asp[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Thanks Bobz,
I've already been on http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq2000.html
It's good!
Thanks anyway Bobz - That was much appreciated - I will check out the other sites!
Thanks again,
lil_flytrap_boy

tounge.gif
Hehe, did I step on your line spec?
wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Vertigo @ April 10 2003,1:05)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">
tounge.gif
Hehe, did I step on your line spec?  
wink.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif

Hi Lil'

Welcome to the forums! I'm glad you're enjoying your new plant.

If you put it outdoors, you won't have to worry about feeding it. It will snap up lots of bugs.

Good luck and stick around!

Suzanne

Whats up! Welcome to the forums!
Be careful with your first lil dude, one reason why I dont like kids having these plants, is because they over feed them right when they bring them home, But, he'll hold on! Maybe you can be the first of a new generation of I dunno, really young...9-11 year olds to not kill there plant by jamming the traps with bugs right when they open. But the worst thing that could happen to it that since its a baby all of its energy will go into digesting the bugs it will produce very small traps and possibly die from low energy. And the best is that it will get huge and peter d'amato will wish he had it.

Good luck with your flytrap!

Hi, it sounds like you did your homework, which is great because that will prevent most of the newbie mistakes from doing in your plant.

Like the others said, less feeding is probubly a good idea. VFT's are usually pritty easy to grow as long as you remember to give them lots of sun and distilled water.

How small is your plant? If it is already making flower staulks, it should be close to "full grown", although, it will probubly get bigger once in good care for a while.

Don't expect a gigantic plant, most typical VFTs only get to be 5-8 inches in diameter. You should get lots more traps though
smile.gif
(and bigger ones during the summer).

Aside from that, I can't offer much new advice, but I will recomend tray watering and letting the tray go dry for 24 hours between waterings to reduce the plants chances of getting a fungle infection or crown rot.

Hi lil_flytrap_boy! Welcome to the forums
biggrin.gif
!

Heck, your not so young. Your about the same age as the "Young Crowd" that hangs out here. And as Vertigo said, "Being young doesn't matter here at all, just the love for the plants." Most of the time I am not aware of the age difference between any of us. That's the great thing about this forum. Hope you have fun here and keep on posting!

Thanks everyone - Your all a nice bunch! It is tempting to feed it but now i know I will resist temptation! I'll try and visit this site everyday!

Off Topic

I'm about to do my SAT's and I'm real nervous - I have tones of homework over the easter hols
confused.gif
sad.gif
YIKES
wow.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (BigCarnivourKid @ April 11 2003,01:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hi lil_flytrap_boy!  Welcome to the forums
biggrin.gif
![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">WELCOME TO THE FORUMS, FLY_TRAP_BOY!!!
Darn you all! Beat me to it!
tounge.gif

wink.gif

confused.gif
 That's usually a me thing, but oh well here's a belated
smile.gif

biggrin.gif

tounge.gif

smile.gif

biggrin.gif

tounge.gif
WELCOME to The FORUMS!!!!!
biggrin.gif

smile.gif

tounge.gif

biggrin.gif

smile.gif

tounge.gif
 Good luck, if you need any additional help, PM me!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (lithopsman @ April 11 2003,4:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (BigCarnivourKid @ April 11 2003,01:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hi lil_flytrap_boy!  Welcome to the forums
biggrin.gif
![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">WELCOME TO THE FORUMS, FLY_TRAP_BOY!!!
Darn you all! Beat me to it!
tounge.gif

wink.gif

confused.gif
 That's usually a me thing, but oh well here's a belated
smile.gif

biggrin.gif

tounge.gif

smile.gif

biggrin.gif

tounge.gif
WELCOME to The FORUMS!!!!!
biggrin.gif

smile.gif

tounge.gif

biggrin.gif

smile.gif

tounge.gif
 Good luck, if you need any additional help, PM me![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Thanks anyway - What does 'pm' mean when U said;

Good luck, if you need any additional help, PM me!

Lil Flytrap,

PM=Private Message

You can click the link at the bottom of a person's post that says 'send msg' or you can go to their profile and click on send a private messge...or even go into the messenger and send one by typing in their name.
wink.gif

WOEH You are all so helpful!
So what U R saying is that when you register you get a kind of e-mail thing - Is that what the 'Your messenger (0 new)'
at the top means!? C
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
L

Will someone send me a message to show me how it works!

You got it, and there you go.
wink.gif

yep same from me
wink.gif

And Welcome to the forums
smile.gif

That is really great - Thanks!
biggrin.gif

P.S Sorry, I keep on repeating the word Thanks it's just you are really helpful and kind!

Back