What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hey all

Where to start??

I guess I should start with letting you know how difficult it is just to make this posting. I'm on a computer that has the full 16 colours and what I'm sure is an old 486 processor. The connection is sooo bad, I waited about 3 mins for this page to download and when it didn't I hit the refresh button epileptically hoping it will load faster.

So... I'm sitting in the lobby of the Novotel in Bukittingi in West Sumatra!!
Check this out - out of one window I can see Mt Merapi, where the type speciman of Nepenthes bongso was found, and out the other Mt Singalang - bongso, gymnamphora and, of course, singalana. Going up there tomorrow. Didn't want to but my guide up Mt Talang decided he didn't know the way after a few hours so I canned that, maybe later.

Spent all day yesterday up to my knees trudging around in sphagnum in a swamp at about 1200m (4500 feet?). There was so much ampullaria I gave up trying to avoid it and just walked all over it. Also heaps of a very pretty form of mirabilis ( as much as mirabilis can be pretty) some tobaica which is pretty bizarre as I was in Jambi (take a look at a  map), HEAPS of reinwardtiana too. Last time here I aslo saw spathulata but none this time. I did get a pillowcase full of the tobaica seed, which I'll send off to someone later.

Day after tomorrow I'll head up to Sibolga where I should see sumatrana (extremely cool plant but I only know the location of about 3 plants so I don't expect to get seed), more rein and amp, some gracilis, longifolia and rafflesia. May even go for a hike to look for Rafflesiana arnoldi which is found in this area. Found quite a few of the smaller Amorphaphallus as well as the Mimosa I promised.

Re the Mimosa, I found a third, medium sized species too so I also have seed of that.

My plan has changed due to my not being able to do Talang so I'll have about 3 days spare so I may try a new mountain. Last time I did that we found 2 new Nepenthes so I have my fingers crossed!

I am geting through my 5th glass of icy cold beer after a few days off so forgive the typing.

Ciao for now, Troy.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif

I don't have the words to express the sickening feeling of jealousy gushing through my body.

Sounds like your having a blast!

Glad your having a great time! Too bad you couldn't get ahold of some N.Bicalcarata seeds! (If you were in Borneo of course!
tounge.gif
)

Im with you Ram! Fatboy you better be taking some pictures!!! Oh it must be nice to be you right now!

mad.gif

Well tra la la...
Where I live it feels like a tropical jungle, but in the comfort of my own home... I hope you're jealous fatboy... Hmmph...

You are one LUCKY ******* ******* fatboy!!!
tounge.gif

I hope you find lots of cool stuff over there and take hundreds of pictures!!
smile.gif
Also, don't forget about the monster tillandsia plants that I'm gonna send you! <hint hint>
wink.gif

Have a great time!

Joel

Hey fatboy...I'm glad you are enjoying it over there in West Sumatra
biggrin.gif
. Wow, that is amazing you are over there. When you go next time remind me and I will simply shove myself into a duffel bag go with you
smile.gif
wink.gif
. Have a great time and look forward to hearing from you soon.

traivs
biggrin.gif

I'd love to see all those Nepenthes in their natural habitat (minus the bugs and humidity  
biggrin.gif
)

Take care and have fun
biggrin.gif

edited by bck 6-28-02 9:58am

fatboy! Im so jelous.....you are so lucky. I have been to Indonesia once, but only in Jakata and the main cities. stayed for about the whole summer for my aunts wedding. No cp's where i was. is it possible for me to have one seed of any nep please? thanks-Zach

Ok, Heck!

I usually stay out of here.. cuz I'm not real diplomatic now adays... with so much going on.

But *GUYS*!!!!!!!!

Stop ASKING FOR STUFF!! Geez!

I mean... well.. it has a place, and in a thread like this... is not the place. Fatboy is sharing an experience with us... not encouraging everyone to ask for something from Sumatra (though I would like some native coffee)
mad.gif

Anyway, And... though I've been advised to keep the dirty laundry in the closet. But this is going to be done in public and for good.

HOWEVER <yes, there is always a HOWEVER>

tuyen thi:

I am removing your ability to post. As far as I am concerned it's for good.

We've talked and talked and talked. It just does no good.

You've not listened to a word (suggestion) we've said to you in private... and keep pushing.

So.. I've made my opinion known... for better or for worse.

Now, I must wrap this up.. by saying... that it bothers me to have to slap someone's hand (or face) in public. But some people just NEVER LEARN. It's like the little kid who stops acting like an *** when you embarass them in front of their friends. Sometimes that's all that works.

I guess I wouldn't be a very good father... I'd probably be arrested for smacking my whining child in the grocery store.

... and then there was silence...

At least you were asking for just one seed. Unlike somebody who wants enough plants to grow a rain forest. I'm not going to say any names...
smile.gif

Hey, am I the only here here that doesn't want Nepenthes seeds?
biggrin.gif
Just joking (but I still don't want any) . lol
tounge.gif

SEE!! smileys are healthy for your ind and soul..... lol

WOW, I was just saying "Hi" didn't mean to stir up this storm!! Parasuco I have read enough of your posts to know when you are being serious or not (not often
smile.gif
) and no offense was taken by your post - don't stress!!

Short post as we're leaving to go to Sibolga (more amp, reinwardtiana, gracilis, sumatrana and longifolia) in about 10 mins.

Went up Singalana yesterday and as I suspected it wasn't that thrilling. LOTS of gymnamphora but no seed
sad.gif
. Didn't make the summit as Kai was tired, his first serious mountain so not bad for 7 years old.

To all and sundry re seeds - the onus is on me at the moment to collect some seed for Phill Man first and foremost as he gave me about $500 (Australian) worth of plants when I met him a few months back. His only condition was that if I happened to find some seed on one of my trips would I mind posting him some. Obviously I feel obliged to return his kindness.
Nep G I did promise you some and I will keep some aside for you. It may not be much and it won't be of everything I found cause at this time I only have a bit of some species.
To everyone else whatever I find enough off I am happy to share. Post is VERY expensive from here in Indo and for that reason as well as a further obligation that I feel to give something back to the guys that run this forum, I will do as I did last time and post everything to Phill and Jaie. Best you ask them what is available after some time later.

Photos I got heaps but most of them are of my son holding pitchers and in front of Sumatran houses, etc. Anyway, you'll see later.

No computers in Sibolga as far as I know but I'll be back here in the Novotel in about four days so until then...

later dudes.
smile.gif

Not meaning to be rude but didn't fatboy just make a post update of how his trip is going?
confused.gif
I am not fatboy but wouldn't you want to bring this topic of the seeds/plants when he comes back home. As I am sure he will not want to end up reading all of this because of one simple post update.

I thought it is really nice to have fatboy do a post update and I enjoyed reading it a lot - like all of you did.
biggrin.gif
It gets annoying hearing about Tuyen especially after what just happened to him. I think it is time to move on
smile.gif
biggrin.gif

Thanks,
travis
smile.gif

I'm still jealous
tounge.gif
Like I said, don't sweat it, I'll take what I can get
biggrin.gif
Hope you're having fun!
smile.gif

Hi Fatboy

Thanks so much for the update...it sounds like an amazing trip so far. You are seeing sights I can only dream of. I really enjoyed reading your post. I can't imagine seeing all those neps growing wild as Mama nature intended. What a sight!

I hope your trip continues with amazing sights and lots of thrilling finds. Fill us in on the juicy details when you can.

Suzanne

Back