What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi from New Caledonia

• Thread starter bioflyer
  • Start date
Hello, i'm a biology/geology teacher from New Caledonia, CP enthusiast since 20 years.
Very happy to join the community :)
Cheers !

Welcome! My son has a Crested Gecko, which I'm sure you know are from there :)
I'm excited to see some photos!
Andrew

Thank you adnedarn :)
I have to recognise i didn't knew this gecko... very cute... we have here a lot fo endemic gecko species, (the giant Rhacodactylus leachianus for example).

I actually plan to share with the community some "wild/observation/experimentation reports" about CP with my college students...

Julien

Bonjour

bienvenu a toi

peut être aussi pourras tu nous faire quelques photos de carnivores de là bas ?

jeff

Welcome! I would love to see and hear more about New Caledonia. I'm glad you are here.

Thanks everybody for your words! Ok i share a picture with you
My son close to the biggest D Neocaledonica i ever seen !

Last edited:
Thanks everybody for your words! Ok i share a picture with you
My son close to the biggest D Neocaledonica i ever seen !

C'est énorme! Bienvenue au forum Julien, on a hâte de voir tes photos!

-Julien B.

Welcome to TF! Beautiful sundews!

Welcome to TF! That's a great photo! I have just acquired this species and I don't really know much about it. Do you have any tips about growing it?

very nice

they grow in what substrat ? this one is wet ?

jeff

Hi :)

These ones are exceptionnal in term of size (i plan to take a few of their seeds this year to take their genetics, because the conditions in which they grow are quite similar to other places where they are always smaller).
The ground here is made of laterites and iron oxyde cap. In this particular place It's seasonally wet but not watterlogged (even if i also found big one growing directly in the water, with no roots in the soil) Sometimes i'm quite impressed how this drosera specie can handle dry conditions (in january for example)...i think this is because of the root system that can be quite developped.
I tried to grow this specie 15 years ago, as a classic tropical drosera (from wild seeds), without great success.
Then i leave the main island to work as biology teacher in Maré (a carbonated island,, so water is poison i abandoned my CP collection)

Today i plan to retry, with a more scientific approach... and I'll let you know for sure !!

Cheers ;)

Last edited:
Back