What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hey there

Hey well just here to introduce myself.!
The names Wayne, I'm 16 years old and I'm from Newfoundland and Labrador in Canada.
Here some of our native Carnivorous plants consist of Drosera (round leaf) and our provincial plant is the Sarracenia purpurea (pitcher plant). Since the age of 5 I've been growing plants mainly houseplants.I love Venus Flytraps!! but getting a Venus flytrap here is quite difficult. but recently I've been planning to get my family to buy one from eBay to purchase. its now February the 5th and I'm wondering for my zone when buying one at the right time would be.? and is having one inside my house until May be fine?.. (tell me what I'd have to do inside) if not then when would the right time be to buy one.? well thanks and this will be greatly appreciated.

(P.S my zone is 5b)

not sure exactly what zone 5b is whats its U.S. equivalent

Hey well just here to introduce myself.!
The names Wayne, I'm 16 years old and I'm from Newfoundland and Labrador in Canada.
Here some of our native Carnivorous plants consist of Drosera (round leaf) and our provincial plant is the Sarracenia purpurea (pitcher plant). Since the age of 5 I've been growing plants mainly houseplants.I love Venus Flytraps!! but getting a Venus flytrap here is quite difficult. but recently I've been planning to get my family to buy one from eBay to purchase. its now February the 5th and I'm wondering for my zone when buying one at the right time would be.? and is having one inside my house until May be fine?.. (tell me what I'd have to do inside) if not then when would the right time be to buy one.? well thanks and this will be greatly appreciated.

(P.S my zone is 5b)

Hi Muscipula - welcome to Terraforums. What sorts of houseplants do you grow? You might want to ask all your venus flytrap questions in the Dionaea forum. But, for starters, if you get one it will be fine indoors since they are starting to come out of dormancy (or will be soon). I'm not sure if Andrew ships internationally or I would recommend his store.

not sure exactly what zone 5b is whats its U.S. equivalent

See the "Hardiness Zones" thread. There are a couple different charts on there.

xvart.

Welcome, Wayne. :-D

Wayne,
I live in a similar Canadian climate as you..
you are probably a bit colder, but not much!
here is how I handle winter and early spring:

http://gold.mylargescale.com/Scottychaos/cp/page2.html

This is a good time of year to get a new VFT, because its right at the start of the growing season. If you got a plant now, you could keep it indoors in a bright windowsill until its warm enough for it to go outside for the season. (probably sometime in April)
then leave it outside until Autumn..
you will need to devise a method for winter dormancy for next winter, but you have plenty of time to figure that out!

the Ontario CP society lists a few Canadian nurseries that carry CPs..
you could give them a try, would probably be better quality plants than Ebay.
and you wouldnt have any "border crossing" issues to deal with..
your plants would already be IN Canada before you buy them!
definately the way to go..

http://ontariocps.webs.com/links.htm

Scot

hmmm..
the Ontario CP society has an incorrect link.
their link for "Hawaiian botanicals" is wrong.
Here is the actual page for that store:

http://www.hawaiianbotanicals.com/

I will email the Ontario society and tell them they have a wrong link.

Scot

Welcome to TF!

Ebay generally has ripoffs unless you check them really well through since there are hobbiest trying to make some extra cp money...

Scott you are the man who i read of about Venus flytraps and i decided to join this forum because of your awesome way of growing them. so your growing ideas are perfect for mine..? would it be fine to grow one now till april.?

hello to you too muscipula59!! lol so cheerful you dont get this much for people my age.. (16)

I'm going to be 16b this end of august though......

Pardon me.

sorry well the people "I" know. ;)

I'm 15 I turned 15 this october.

ah! there is pesky Newfoundland penny photo I was looking for.
couldnt find it before!

fs_coin.jpg

very cool penny! :)

Scot

Awesome! ;)

!938 it says oh well looks old! and cool looking.

Back