What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Herps I saw while I was gone!

I spent much of my free time in Mississippi herping, and ended up finding some pretty cool stuff! Here are just a few shots I took after the last set I posted a while back.

Nice pink Southern Copperhead.

Western Mudsnake (my main target species while I was down there).

Only found one Banded Watersnake.

On my way back I had to drive through Arizona, and there was no way I could do that during the height of the monsoon without stopping. Coincidentally, a couple of my friends were flying into Phoenix the day I arrived, so we met up and herped for a couple days.

The eyes on the Checkered Garters are amazing!

A south Arizona specialty, the Brown Vinesnake.

Regal Ringnecks get much larger than other subspecies throughout the country, though this one was only about 15" long.

The Tiger Rattlesnake has comical body proportions - an extremely small head and a very large rattle. It looks very strange in person.

The Chihuahuan Hook-nosed Snake is a rare, fossorial denizen of gravelly soils in southern Arizona.

The Arizona Mountain Kingsnake is very strikingly-colored...

...But not to be confused with the equally striking Sonoran Coralsnake (though as far as we know, this species is not dangerous to humans).

Hope all the herpers on here enjoyed!

Beautiful snakes and pictures, Natalie. Really makes me want to get back into searching for reptiles in the wilderness.

Stunning photography! Beautiful snakes and photos, Natalie.

Oh my gosh, very nice. Such crisp clear photos of some truly striking snakes (Pun intended).

The Mudsnake is particularly gorgeous but they are all fantastic. I wish I lived somewhere where I could herp like this.

Love the iridescence on the mudsnake.

Amazing photos as always, I love your works.

Very good photography!

Wow! What a fantastic collection of finds. I love the vinesnake & copperhead but they are all striking. Congrats on some time well spent.

Wow. Great pics.
That would have been a fun trip.

Ringnecks are one of my favorites.

Beautiful animals! Looks like a pretty healthy mudsnake, and congrats on finding a vine snake! They're pretty rare in the US. Great colors on the Sonoran Mountain kingsnake too!

Thanks all! I just moved again (this time to Humboldt County, CA, way up north in the redwoods), so hopefully I'll be finding some cool salamanders soon!

Beautiful mudsnake, vinesnake and ringneck! you are good at herping :] I'm sad only to see the splendida kingsnake missing ;]

Back