What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Here is a new one, plugged pitcher

Pyro

N=R* fs fp ne fl fi fc L
Anyone have any idea what would cram a bunch of green leaf into a pitcher? I just found a huge plug in one of last years pitchers on my wriglyana.

Hmm.. recalling Schnells book- isn't that a type of nest for some kind of wasp or moth or something?? makes "plugs" of plant material on the top and bottom and kinda "incubates" in between the layers??
That's waht comes to mind first, for me

Xyra moth spins a silk barrier top and bottom when it cocoons. This is basically a whole wad of leaf

Pull it out and see ;)

I think mabudon might've guessed it with a wasp, that sounds right to me too.
~Joe

Sarcophagus wasp!!! :censor: Great, now I have to go asmashing:-O

lol thanks for aiding the recall, Joe, I hadto return the book to the library but definitely recall pics of somethin like that in the second edition- I don't think we have them hereabouts but figured they'd live more south, like say GA.
Good luck Travis, hope it was an isolated incident.

Oh and why is it that it seems scientists always get the "exotic" problems??
I swear, everyone I know who has a scientific background seems to have the ability to attracts exquisite problems- ignorant ol me only gets the odd aphid infestation but nothing "fancy" like killer wasps :D

Back