What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Helping picking LED colour temperature for sundews/VFT?nepenthes

• Thread starter victorhooi
  • Start date
I'm setting up an indoor terrarium to grow carnivorous plants (and sphangum moss).

The tank is an Exo Terra terrarium, 90 x 45 x 45 cm.

I am thinking of getting this light:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...8590.html?spm=a2747.manage.0.0.113971d21o6Iu1

However, it comes in three different colour temperatures - 3000K, 3500K and 4000K.

Does anybody have any advice on which is most suitable for sundews, venus fly traps and nepenthes?

Finally, is it possible to have too much light for these types of carnivorous plants that require full sun?

Thanks,
Victor

This is the site I used when I ordered my LED lighting for my original terrarium
https://www.carnivorousplants.org/grow/SoilsWaterLight/LEDplantlighting

I ended up going with the Finnex Planted+ 24/7 SE (although there is a newer, updated version now)
That light had everything I wanted: Proper nm wavelengths for leaves AND pitcher/flowers), aluminum frame for less heat on the plants, reliability, etc. I've had it constantly running for over 2 years without a single LED burning out and am super happy with the colors my pitchers receive under this light

I have an exoterra tank and I highly advise you do what I did and just DIY your own LED bars. Buy a roll of of amazon of the blue/white and yellow/white LEDs and adhere them to the small housings that are sold separate. It will cost a fraction of the lights you posted and are much more versatile.

VFTs and (most) sundews prefer direct sun, though dews don't like scorching. VFT's can handle almost anything. Nepenthes on the other hand are more sensitive, and if your light is too bright it will be met with smaller, red leaves and if taken too far could stunt them.

Back