What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help!

I bought a D. anglica winter of 2002. When I received it, it was still in hibernation. I noticed a second smaller plant next to the larger plant and moved it over some. That summer I left them in the pot I received them in. That summer they never got out of their hibernacula stage. In spring of 2003 I transplanted them into a soil mix of 50% peat 50% sand and thought they would start to grow, they didn't, they stayed in a hibernacula stage all year (still green and alive).This spring I took the hibernacula out, top coated the soil with LFS moss then replaced the hibernacula making sure to push them down for good contact. The larger one grew a leaf ( even ate a bug) then stopped. Now they're just hibernacula again. Whats up? I live in zone 7 (western Oregon) they're outside next to D.rotundifolia( which grows well) and Sarracenia( which also grows well).They get 10 hrs of direct sun, and watered with distilled H2O. Where the one leaf touched the soil a new plant has started and looks promising but whats up with my other plants? Any help will be great. thanks in advanced, Jack

This is typical behavior for the temperate form of D. anglica, sorry to say. I have the same problem: plants come out of dormancy as is normal for temperate species, but then reform their hibernacula after a month of growth. I regret I have no suggestions as to how to grow the temperate form of D. anglica with long term success.

Jack,

Visit the D. anglica at Bull Swamp, between Medford and Klamath Falls. They come out of dormancy in June (or July) and go dormant again in August (or September), depending on the climate in any given year.

Back