What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

help

• Thread starter Brails
  • Start date
  • Tags
    fly
I just got my fly trap and i am wondering if i am caring for it

1st off i live in a desert
I have it in a 10 gallon fish tank for them
The Humidy is around 70
The temprature is about 80
I shine light on it 14 hours a day

I think you feed them once a month?

Do you keep the water trays filled up all the way all the time or do you let it dry out for a while before you fill them up again?

anything will help thx

Hi, I'm not an expert or anything but the care tips on this site say to put the pot into an inch to an inch and of half of water at all times. They also say humidity isn't too big of a thing (around 40-60) but they love light. I feed mine whenever a fly happens to be around and bugging me. I'm going to try ants for my vft and my sundew next. I've heard they like those. I live in Colorado the plains and I just mist them a couple times a day. Have fun.

Light is good but if you are in a desert make sure it's not too much light.The trays should be filled ALL the time and feeding them once a month is fine keeping in mind that they don't need to be fed at all to survive and that feeding it more than 3 times a month is probably over feeding it. Good luck!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

- Brett

Hey all

With watering your plant, ALWAYS keep the tray full of distilled, rain or reverse osmosis water.  NEVER give it tap, drinking, bottled or mineral water.

Brasils,

With you being in the desof ert, I would keep you plant indoors.  YOu can mist it daily so it has some humidity, but generally speaking about 50% is good enough.  If it gets too dry, the water will evoporate quicker and the leaves may die sonner the than they should.

YOu have the light right.  12-14 hours a day....leave it 6-8 inches away from the plant.  Cool white light is the best for the plant ( 40 watt )

The temperature is good for the plant.  You don't want to go above mid 90's.  You are cool  
biggrin.gif

If you are keeping it in a tank, you want to open the lid sometimes.  Venus flytraps need air circulation.  And if the air is not allowed to move, mold or fungus can appear in the tank and it is harmful for the plants.

At night, you can open the lid and allow fresh air in.

Also, NEVER place by a window!!  You will create a greenhouse effect that could kill the plant.

Feeding the plant is optional.  The plant will catch insects on its own.  If you want to feed them, I wouldn't feed it more tha 1-2 bugs per month.

We are also launching a CP FAQ site www.cpfaq.com  It is full of lots of information about all species of Carnivorous Plants.  There is even a place to asked a quesiton and have it be answered.

Shauntell:

I wouldn't feed the VFT or sundews ants. Sometimes the ants will call their friends, and they will destroy the plants.  ALso, the posion in the ants has a damaging effect on the Sundews and VFT.

If you bring a single ant indoors inside of a juice box straw, and allow it to crawl out (unfrightened), onto the leaf, it will try to eat nectar, eventually triggereing the trap. I actually did this today! Ants are good (to me at least) because they dont get squished in the leaf, so as it slowly tightens, they can move to the center, ensuring that they dont stick out... Just my opinion...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (jaie @ June 05 2002,5:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hey all
With watering your plant, ALWAYS keep the tray full of distilled, rain or reverse osmosis water.  NEVER give it tap, drinking, bottled or mineral water.
Brasils,
With you being in the dessert, I would keep you plant indoors.  YOu can mist it daily so it has some humidity, but generally speaking about 50% is good enough.  If it gets too dry, the water will evoporate quicker and the leaves may die sonner the than they should.
YOu have the light right.  12-14 hours a day....leave it 6-8 inches away from the plant.  Cool white light is the best for the plant ( 40 watt )
The temperature is good for the plant.  You don't want to go above mid 90's.  You are cool  
biggrin.gif

If you are keeping it in a tank, you want to open the lid sometimes.  Venus flytraps need air circulation.  And if the air is not allowed to move, mold or fungus can appear in the tank and it is harmful for the plants.
At night, you can open the lid and allow fresh air in.
Also, NEVER place by a window!!  You will create a greenhouse effect that could kill the plant.
Feeding the plant is optional.  The plant will catch insects on its own.  If you want to feed them, I wouldn't feed it more tha 1-2 bugs per month.
We are also launching a CP FAQ site www.cpfaq.com  It is full of lots of information about all species of Carnivorous Plants.  There is even a place to asked a quesiton and have it be answered.
Shauntell:
I wouldn't feed the VFT or sundews ants. Sometimes the ants will call their friends, and they will destroy the plants.  ALso, the posion in the ants has a damaging effect on the Sundews and VFT.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
WOWEE you live in a dessert?! YUMYUMYUMMM!!!

Back