What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

help with Drosera Hybrida

Hey, so did I kill it or is it going into dormancy?

thanks!

sorry if the picture is bad, I can reshoot

IMG_2141_zpsc5077cf4.jpg

IMG_2139_zps914beef6.jpg

IMG_2143_zps3a3236d9.jpg

Last edited:
Well, we need to know the conditions it is in. This is a plant with a dormancy, but we need to know if the conditions it experiences would actually instigate dormancy

Last edited:
Is that "the Butterfly Valley (fertile) D. hybrida or the non-fertile D. hybrida?

From the fibrous growth around the crown I would suspect dormancy. You can very carefully move some of the fibers away to see if there is a winter bud.

My Butterfly Valley plant has been dormant since the beginning of July. I've noticed that Drosera from the NE US such as New Jersey tend to go dormant on me during the summer.

Last edited:
uhhhhhhhhhhh it's a cross between filiformis and intermedia.... i'm sorry does that answer the question??? LOL I'm feeling clueless here.

Ya know, interesting you mentioned your Butterfly Valley Plant, because mine started developing growth around the crown around mid July. Even though it still produced lots of leafs and was catching bugs profusely.

Thank you ^_^ Not a Number

uhhhhhhhhhhh it's a cross between filiformis and intermedia.... i'm sorry does that answer the question??? LOL I'm feeling clueless here.

Ya know, interesting you mentioned your Butterfly Valley Plant, because mine started developing growth around the crown around mid July. Even though it still produced lots of leafs and was catching bugs profusely.

Thank you ^_^ Not a Number

-_- so you don't know what conditions induce dormancy. For a cross between temperate sundews -_- , which I stated have a winter dormancy. Of course, depending on where it came from its dormancy might be off, but still though.

hey PsychoSarah I must missed your message when I first read the replies.

Ya, it's def dormancy. Just wanna double check.

All of the temperate sundews from the NE United States have a short growing period for me in Southern California. This includes D. rotundifolia, D. filiformis, D. intermedia and the hybrids D. belieziana and D. hybrida. And includes plants from New Hampshire, New York and New Jersey. All of them will be in full dormancy by the end of August. The plants from the New Jersey Pine Barrens will be fully dormant by mid-July. Contrast this to the D. rotundifolia from California which may not go dormant until late November if at all.

This may be due to the difference between the season change of the day-night period. The seasonal change in day-night length is less the closer latitude to the equator.

Note, the fibrous covered growth point is NOT indicative of a plant entering dormant stage, as the parent D. filiformis has this mat of hairs even when still actively growing. However, from the first picture I can see one of the growth points on the side of the main crown showing the numerous small, coiled leaf buds that do suggest it has gone dormant, so once it has lost all current leaves you can place it in cooler conditions.

Also, what NaN was referring to with the fertile/non-fertile D. x hybrida forms was that there is a nonnative population that was introduced in California, and some of the plants developed polyploidy and became fertile, reproducing plants. Being a hybrid, most forms of D. x hybrida save that population are fully sterile.

Is the dormancy triggered by length of the day light or temperature? I think day light is def shorter and it's cooler in the morning and at night now compared to august.

I'll ask the seller if it's a fertile or non-fertile hybrida. I'd def prefer it to be fertile, so hopefully it'll produce some seeds.

Thanks everyone, always learning a lot from ya'll

Is the dormancy triggered by length of the day light or temperature? I think day light is def shorter and it's cooler in the morning and at night now compared to august.

I'll ask the seller if it's a fertile or non-fertile hybrida. I'd def prefer it to be fertile, so hopefully it'll produce some seeds.

Thanks everyone, always learning a lot from ya'll

Dormancy is influenced by both light and temperature

That depends on location, but if the hybrida is one of the common forms which originated from more northern locations, then day length will influence it more than temperature will. As days shorten, it will shut down even if the middle of the day stay hot.

I've read a couple places that D. filiformis (and hybrids including D. filiformis) tend to go dormant on a sort of random basis in cultivation. Right now I have 2 D. filiformis Florida Red growing in the same pot, under lights. One of the plants apparently went dormant a month ago or so, and the other is still actively growing. Has anyone else experienced this?

Here's some examples of the fibrous growth around the hibernaculum. It varies from year to year, last year it covered the winter bud completely as often happens with D. filiformis.

D. hybrida "Butterfly Valley, CA"
IMGP8737_zps05809e99.jpg

IMGP8728_zps178e6454.jpg

D. × californica 'Portland Sunrise'
IMGP8735_zps2b791d00.jpg

IMGP8734_zps477748ad.jpg

IMGP8731_zps41fe3baf.jpg

IMGP8730_zps50c29146.jpg

IMGP8724_zps11e88ff4.jpg

IMGP8721_zps47d5c30f.jpg

IMGP8707_zpsa3581724.jpg

IMGP8705_zpsce3d069b.jpg