What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

help terrarium set up?

• Thread starter Kleon2
  • Start date
hi guys so I want to get aa terrarium so I can grow nepenthes and heliamphoras any recommendations ? set up lights anything will help thanks p.s can I grow nepenthes and heliamphoras in the same terrarium ? humidity control ? heat ?

I use this basic setup for my terrariums: The Carnivorous Plant FAQ: The Carnivorous Plant Terrarium builder's guide

Shop lights are fine, if you use them it isn't necessary to reposition the ballasts as suggested in the article. The only thing I have done differently is you can place the egg crate on top of several overturned pots and fill up the space underneath with 3-4 inches of water. I place a submersible aquarium heater that is on during the day and off at night to help regulate temperature and humidity. I also use a small reptile filter to keep the water from getting too stagnant and smelly.

I have successfuly grown heliamphoras and intermediate/highland nepenthes in the same terrarium using this setup.

I use Sterilite Clearview boxes as "terrarriums" and put T5s on top of them. The lids are relatively clear so light can shine through and since the lights aren't actually in the enclosure I don't need to use cooling inside them. This method has allowed me to grow highland plants (Utricularia, Nepenthes, and Heliamphora) very easily and I have been using it for two years. I don't like glass containers since you can't really move them. It's very low-tech but it works for me.

RwbD6i0.jpg

hummm I see I want some type of glasss terrarium and a huge one at that width wise u guys wouldn't happen to know where I coud find some ?

You could try using a fish tank from a pet store.

I want to but I can't seem to find one with good width ?

Most tanks seem to generally increase volume by increasing height and length rather than width. You'll probably only get a super wide tank by building one yourself or paying someone. Might be easier to just make a wooden box with 3 sides and line it with waterproof sheeting and pop in a glass front.

What is your set up ?

I don't actually use a tank, for me one of those wire racks covered in reflective foil is enough. The issue with glass tanks is that they are usually intended to be displayed against a wall and its more space efficient to make it longer and taller than to make it wider which would eat floor space.

I'd highly recommend building your own terrarium if you want one made of glass, aquariums (especially extra wide ones) can be very expensive, mainly due to the fact they're engineered to withstand the force of water. You can build a terrarium out of comparatively thin glass since it won't have to be hold water, thus lowering the cost. The other option would be looking for cheap tanks on Craigslist, you can usually find tanks that don't hold water for fairly low prices.

I'm currently using a 93 gallon cube aquarium as a terrarium setup. It works well but even the 30" x 30" footprint has quickly filled up, the space restraints of a terrarium are definitely something to consider.

Last edited:
I want to start up first with a terrarium then either a buy or build a greenhouse to put on my roof I live a in the city that's why I want to build a fairly small greenhouse but for now a terrarium where can I go to get the supply?

Back