What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help! tc nepenthes

I just got some TC Neps(ventricosa) that have been greenhoue hardened and have nice roots. They look like miniature palm trees though(like some rooted cuttings) because they have a brown, woody shoot between the rosette and roots that is 3" long! It looks like stem to me, but can you pot them so just the rosette is showing, or will that suffocate them? Has anyone ever seen this before? N. campanula is the only other plant I have seen with so long a stem between rosette and soil.

Regards,

Joe

Sorry for the bad grammar(like campanulata(. I typed too fast.

Joe

I usually bury them to the bottom of the rosette. As long as the stem is fairly woody the risk of rotting is minimal. Eventually they may put out some roots along that stem also.
Tony

Grif,
I think that you can burry the whole stem. If you're worried about it rotting, maybe you could nick the stem and apply a little rooting hormone so that it will establish MORE roots....just a thought. Someone correct me if you think this won't work.....

IMO nicking the stem and applying some rooting powder increases the chance that you will get roots, it also increases the chance of disease when you open a channel for a pathogen to enter. The other aspect to watch is buring any soft nonwoody stem too deep since it is also more susceptible to pathogens.
Tony

I got a bunch from Malaysia recently also and buried the whole stem up to the rosette. Haven't lost any yet that were good to begin with, but the borderline ones went pretty quickly. Keep you posted. It has been three weeks for mine.

They are being treated like cuttings, high humidity 80%+, temperature between 90-95 degrees F daytime, and nightime 10 degrees less, 75 to 85 degrees, when the A/C works right. Lighting is 18 hrs per day, florescent tubes.

The bigger plants usually take their time recovering from shock, so I treat them the same way as cutting for the first few weeks and decided to apply this to this group also. I was loosing quite a few coming in from Malaysia and we just decided to try something different to see if it worked. Still experiementing.

Back