What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

help please

• Thread starter Trapper
  • Start date
T

Trapper

I just got a Green Dragon bulb a few weeks ago, and it had three traps growing from it already. About a week ago I noticed that one trap (one that looked as if it was damaged durring shipping) was turning black. I sniped him off. The other two traps seem to be doing ok, but I"m noticing that a side of one trap is turing yellow... while it's other side is bright green. Any ideas....
I water the plant every other day or so.. enough to keep the soid (pete moss) lightly moist, and give it plenty of sun.

Thanks

Hey Trapper,

First off WELCOME
smile.gif

Secondly, what kind of peat moss? And what kind of water are you using? These are two of the biggerst factors for the plant.

Also, since you received a bulb ( rhizome ), you will have put the plant through shock while transplanting it. It will take time to recover and produce lots of traps.

Think of the traps as leaves ( they are just modified ). They will die, but as long as you see new growth coming from the middle of the plant, you will be fine. It just takes a little more time.

Giving it plenty of light and DISTILLED WATER ONLY will ensure the survival of your plants.

Just hang in there and keep us informed of what is happening.
smile.gif

If you live in a somewhat arid place or pretty much anywhere, you should try to keep it wet not moist. I believe it is better to be wet than moist. Please correct me if i am wrong, because this is how i have my plants and they are doing fine!
smile.gif

I think the advice given by pft is best followed... keep your plants in 1 to 1.5 inches of pure water (distilled or rain) to keep them at the proper "wetness". If you do this and have them in a suitable medium (1/1 peat/perlite or horticultural sand) they will flourish. Be patient with them. Once they are established and acclimated they will grow fairly fast.

Back