What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help! N. campanulata leaf size diminishing

Hi! I have had this N. campanulata for about 3 months now it was growing fine until I noticed it had put out it’s smallest leaf yet. Perhaps it has something to do with being in a relatively shady portion of my grow chamber (?) however, one would expect the opposite, larger leaf surface area.

Media: kanuma/akadama and a top layer of orchiata bark (orchid bark infused with dolomitic lime)
Lighting: Mars Hydro ts-1000 about 12-14inches from canopy dial set to 25-30%
Water: every 2 weeks
Humidity and ventilation: ~90% RH, and a fan for circulation/cooling
Temperature: Day: 30-31c, Night: 20c
Although, for the past week and a half, I have failed to provide this temp drop bec I had been away. Not sure if that might have been enough time to cause any problems.

Overall, do you guys think it looks healthy? Isn’t pitchering a clear indication of adequate conditions for the plant? Should I be worried?

Attachments

• 6D61FD9C-84D5-4DC8-AEEC-F4976C63FD84.jpeg
    6D61FD9C-84D5-4DC8-AEEC-F4976C63FD84.jpeg
    185.9 KB · Views: 28
  • B0A69697-9211-4057-B303-9FD29806D3BC.jpeg
    B0A69697-9211-4057-B303-9FD29806D3BC.jpeg
    114.9 KB · Views: 27
  • A6F36978-5420-4AF2-9EBC-F5EF41EF6288.jpeg
    A6F36978-5420-4AF2-9EBC-F5EF41EF6288.jpeg
    168.5 KB · Views: 30
Wait are you saying this is the first leaf it’s put out under you or its been putting out leafs that have been diminishing in size by each new leaf?

To be specific, it has put 4 leaves out under my care. Initially, the first leaf appeared to be smaller than the last but I assumed that was because it was adjusting. The next had a slight leaf jump, then the third leaf was a bit smaller. Finally, the latest leaf, pointing 5 o'clock, seems like the smallest of the bunch. Any thoughts on why it might be going through this?

Ah okay, then any change between the 2nd and 3rd leaf that you can think of? It looks like it’s really healthy btw. The only possible sign of stress is the oldest leaf on their that’s just starting to turn (to be honest it just looks like it an old leaf).

Ah okay, then any change between the 2nd and 3rd leaf that you can think of?
It’s really tough to say, but maybe the mars hydro lights, which I got a little way back approx a month after I bought the n. campanulata. If I remember correctly, it had it’s little leaf jump right after I had gotten the lights, but that might just be a late reaction. As I experimented with the light settings, the next leaf was only slightly smaller and didn’t worry me. The 4th leaf, I’m assuming, is the product of having the lights on at about 25-30% for the past 2-3 weeks. Could insufficient lighting be the problem? I thought low lighting would tend to result to bigger leaves and the reluctancy to produce pitchers? My ultimate worry is the diminishing leaf size until the growth tip completely disappears. But the fact that you think the plant looks healthy is reassuring. Thank you.

My balcony where I grow the N. campanulata under lights doesn't go beyond 95F but stays over 90F for the entire year during the day. The nights are in the 80s. Recently, the weather's been gloomy and the days are in the high 80s, with nights in the high 70s. The plants are putting out larger and better leaves now which is why I thought it could be the cooler temperatures that helped
As opposed to what’s in my photos, I actually have the plant situated off to the edge/corner of the chamber where the lights are not directly above it. On top of this, I had placed a cutout piece of rubber mat to provide more shade. This has been my set up ever since I’ve had the mars hydro lights.

On second thought after doing some readings, my night temps might actually be too low (18-20c). This experience grower, Cindy, has been keeping her night temps not less than 23c (75f) which is something I have not been doing since I’ve acquired the plant. Together with this, cooler day temps seem to reward her with larger leaves. I think I’ll try to adjust and see how it reacts.

[Update]
Apparently, the reason for the progressively smaller leaves was that it was flowering (must have been triggered by cooler temps) and it’s a female! I’ve cut off the flower after determining its sex and it has bounced back since then. I’m stoked! I would rather be looking at a nice plant than stressing over what to pollinate it with. Maybe another time.

Attachments

• A197D1D6-EE27-4FCB-A5B0-BE1AE16E617E.jpeg
    A197D1D6-EE27-4FCB-A5B0-BE1AE16E617E.jpeg
    176.6 KB · Views: 11
Well that explains it! No wonder we couldn’t figure it out. Congratulations!!! Wow, that’s awesome! I think you made the right choice; stress flowering will only drain energy from the plant even more rather than letting it flower naturally. Lmk if it ever has a basal that you’re willing to part with.

Back