What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HELP Is my collection dying? Diagnosis needed

So many changes happening in my little garden and i'm a bit concerned. thanks for the input.

This Sarracenia has weird bumps on them
IMG_1330_zpsuirukjwl.jpg

IMG_1331_zpsrzdhxbut.jpg

I am assuming this are from the sun? But i just want to be sure
IMG_1359_zpsmzrnprvg.jpg

And this is just from the digesting of the insects?
IMG_1354_zpsfystigj6.jpg

What are this white powder-ish looking thing?
IMG_1323_zpshlhvsmpg.jpg

IMG_1319_zpsbhsiavfr.jpg

IMG_1322_zpsaifdllz9.jpg

I assume this red are just part of the coloring? I thought hurrican creek is all white?
IMG_1310_zpsmevzzlif.jpg

This droseras leaf are really deforming..... The weather lately has been okay and they sat out in 90 degree summer last season no problem too...
IMG_1351_zpsquyzsfle.jpg

IMG_1350_zpsz8eozenu.jpg

IMG_1337_zpsq6cvnmi1.jpg

IMG_1338_zps8odpgla4.jpg

Can't really tell. First photo could be scale insects. Do a search engine on "scale insects" and see if that's what they are.

3rd photo - are the shriveled pitchers this year's pitchers or last years?

S. 'Hurricane Creek White' is not anthocyanin free so wounds or tissue damage show as red "bruises". Could be a fungal infection or chemical burn.

Check - distilled, rain, or Reverse Osmosis filtered water - where to you get your water? Do you test it with a TDS or pH meter?
Check - substrate - peat moss and perlite free of fertilizer like Miracle-Gro?

Check - chemical usage - are you foliar feeding with a liquid fertilizer? Have you sprayed the plants with a fungicide or pesticide? Is any one using any or all of the above in the yard or neighboring yards? Is the city or county spraying pesticides at night to control pests?

I buy distilled water from this place. so it's checked with TDS meter for sure.

yup, peat moss and perlite free of fertilizer as well.
I use the Black Gold brand for both perlite and peat moss.

I don't use any foilar feeding
Yes the city sprays pesticides control at night.

I've only used pesticide on a few plants.

The growing media looks too dry in the last couple pictures. My drosera looked like that when I let humidity drop too much once.

Doesn't Black Gold add fertilizer to their peat? I vaguely recall a nursery here checked with the company (I think it was Black Gold) and they did.

Black Gold Peat Moss Plus has a wetting agent. Black Gold Peat Moss is straight peat moss. Many CP growers will swear by the Black Gold peat moss.

Check with the city or county and find out what pesticide they are spraying with. Malathion is a common chemical used for area spraying over communities. You can ask Peter D'Amato about chemical burn from Malathion. He no longer recommends using this pesticide on CPs.

Surely they don't routinely spray Malathion in the Bay Area? I was a kid when they sprayed for the Mediterranean fruit fly (when Jerry Brown was first Governor) and I remember the incredible hype and controversy surrounding it. In the form sprayed, I also remember lines of helicopters that made the house shake worse than any earthquake, a sickly sweet smell of the sprayed droplets containing the stuff, and warnings to wash one's car afterwards. I can't imagine even local spraying that would enter one's yard significantly without one's knowledge. People would be outraged. Many people pride themselves on their organic gardens.

I can't imagine this factors into the equation at all, but we've had bizarre weather lately. Not much rain (normal this time of the year) but temperatures have consistently been 10 degrees below normal all of May.

Back