What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello

Nepenthes and Drosera the Kings? ill give yah that but i prefer the Crown Jewels, the Utricularia
smile_n_32.gif

Daddyo im not much help in the Sarr department as i only have a few. but i believe the rhizome stays at or near the soil surface. soil stays constantly moist through the growing season. mine are in 4 inch tall pots sitting in more or less constant 1 inch deep water

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ Mar. 29 2005,5:26)]Daddyo im not much help in the Sarr department as i only have a few. but i believe the rhizome stays at or near the soil surface. soil stays constantly moist through the growing season. mine are in 4 inch tall pots sitting in more or less constant 1 inch deep water
That's how I do mine, too Rattler.

In order to determine which species is the best, I am growing a bit of several of them. The only conclusion I have reached in my studies over the past four years is that I will need several more plants and a few more years to reach a conclusion
smile_n_32.gif

Steve

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BigCarnivourKid @ Mar. 29 2005,8:57)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ Mar. 29 2005,5:26)]Daddyo im not much help in the Sarr department as i only have a few. but i believe the rhizome stays at or near the soil surface. soil stays constantly moist through the growing season. mine are in 4 inch tall pots sitting in more or less constant 1 inch deep water
That's how I do mine, too Rattler.

In order to determine which species is the best, I am growing a bit of several of them. The only conclusion I have reached in my studies over the past four years is that I will need several more plants and a few more years to reach a conclusion
smile_n_32.gif

Steve
That sounds almost like reseach for personal gain! LOL.

Drosera... neps kings? Utrics jewels? You are a bit confused.... Sarrs are the kinds and pings are the jewels! LOL

Edit: ooops! I almost forgot to help daddyo!
Like BCK said you want the top of the rhyzome just below the soil lvl. The soil needs to be constantly moist. They like LOTS of bright direct sunlight, but you don't want to over heat them. They can handle it pretty warm but if you get a lot of dry sun you may want to protect them.

It is done. Transplanted into a terrarium with peat and plenty of water. Do I need to mist it to keep it moist? Any last minute info for me on these? How often and what do I feed it? I do prefer bugs that don't fly. I have spent time looking at this and see that it is beautiful in its potential. Green has always been the color of new life and I'd like to see more of it as it grows. I must admit I am diving head first into this hobby. It feels incredibly rewarding. I placed some ferns in there as well for aesthetic value. After we finish creating a suitable environment, I might introduce some frogs. Thank you all for the helpful information and the humor!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Don't be fooled about the Neps they are indeed the kings of CPs. There are a couple that are tough to tottally kill off, N. ventrata, N. cocinnea (sp?).

Later man,
Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Now wait a minute....the kings of CPs are DROSERAE!  Sticky, glittery jewels of death.  Don't listen to him, Daddy-O!  Sundews!  Sundews!  Sundews!

smile_n_32.gif

you all forget!
The CPs themselves already have their own King..us lowly humans have no say in the matter..
for untold centuries the royal family of all CPs has been the Sarracenia family.
this portrait of "King Excellens VIII", painted in 1520, was recently discovered buried in a peat bog.
As far as we know, He is still King today.

KingExcellens.jpg

smile_n_32.gif

Scot

DaddyO

Your sarras will be fine in a tank for a while but they will outgrow it. Well, that depends on how deep your tank is of course. But they can get pretty tall. Also they might needs some depth of soil for their roots.

I don't usually feed my plants...but sarras eat wasps, flies, mosquitos, spiders and anything else unlucky enough to fall in. If you are keeping your tank indoors (uncovered), it will probably catch stuff on its own. But you can supplement their diet if you want. I'll let other sarra experts weigh in on how much and how often.

I have some neps in tanks and even when the tanks are nearly sealed, I still find "goop" in the pitchers. I guess small gnats and bugs still get in and fall into the pitchers. So you might be surprised at what they catch on their own.

im confused..
isnt this the thread where we were talking about daylight length?
sunset and sunrise times?
or was that another thread?
I cant find it now!!
confused.gif

Scot

Back