What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello

Hello, I'm Timor and I am interested in getting some sundews :)

I mainly need advice on which one is good and quite quick to grow. I am living in the UK although I am Swedish.

My other interest is mainly in inverts. I currently have 3 (2 female 1 male) Gongylus Gongylodes (Wandering Violin Mantis). I also have 2 female 1 male ephibolus pulchripes (red-legged millipedes) and 2 female, 1 male ommatoiulus sp (another species of millipede).

I have a problem in the millipede enclosure as there are some flies which is one of the reasons why I would like to obtain some sundews although the main reason is because I find then absolutely amazing.

Thanks

Timor

Hi! I'm in the UK too! Sundews are one of my faves.

Since you're in the UK, have you joined the CPUK forum? It's mainly English and Europeans, the members there tend to sell plants, and are more likely to understand the nuances of the English climate! There's also a thread there with links to most of the European CP nurseries: http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=40570

Also, how big are the millipedes? You don't really want them being eaten ;) . As for suggesting sundews for the terrarium, D. capensis is a good candidate, as it's pretty, robust and probably big enough to eat flies, unless the flies are ridiculously huge, that is. Also, how strong are the lights? Sundews need quite a lot of light!

Good luck! :)

I think I will join the CPUK forum, thanks. The millipedes are quite big (the smallest probably 15cm and largest is around 25cm) but I wasn't suggesting putting the plants in the enclosure. The flies are only the really small ones like fruit fly size. I would probably keep them next to the window and I get light for quite a large part of the day!

Thanks

Timor

Ah, I see! Those millipedes sound very safe at that size (shudders at the thought of them), and the flies are the perfect size! Putting them on a sunny window sounds great! If it's south facing, you'll be able to grow lots of cool things really well! :bigthumpup: Where are you in the UK?

I think that the window is south facing or it is roughly south facing. I am in Lincolnshire. I am looking for good deals on the forum you suggested.

Thanks

Timor

That sounds good! I have a few spare plants floating around clogging up space, so if you're interested, I could send a few over for free. It would probs be pretty cheap to post, so I would just give them for free b/c it's less hassle for me. I might not have the time to do it, but I could give you a P. 'wesser' (although I suspect it might be a 'sethos'), P. Esseriana, D. capensis and maybe a few more for free. Tell me if you're interested!

Howdy Timor. MH1 has the right idea with D. capensis - it's the quintessential beginner's sundew. Others would be D. spatulata, or the various D. binata/dichotoma forms. D. adelae, D. burmannii and the pygmy sundews are slightly more touchy, but still worth a shot even for a newbie. If you're interested in keeping some plants outside, D. intermedia or D. rotundifolia are worth a shot. I'm not familiar with the availability of species in Europe, but I would be surprised if any of these species were especially hard to find.
Welcome to the forums. :)
~Joe

MH1 that would be absolutely great! I shall PM you and we can talk more, thanks so much!

Seedjar thanks for the nice welcome and also for giving lots of information. I don't think I would keep them outside though although still very nice of you to say :)

Thanks

Timor

Welcome to TF!

Back