What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello from PA, USA

Hi, my name is Andrew. I came across this forum while reading up on things over at GrowSundews.com. I got my first VFT on a whim a little over a year ago when I came across it on the Lowe’s GTFO shelf. I have an indoor veggie garden that was overrun with fungus gnats at the time and thought it might be a nice addition to all of the sticky traps plastered around my pots. It of course was no help with the infestation, but it got me pretty fascinated with CPs! A few months back I brought in a bunch of mixed VFT seeds, some d. capillaris (Emerald’s Envy and Long Arm) and d. filiformis (typical and red.) Also just started my first attempt at growing drosera from a pack of mixed seeds I got from the FTC forum bank containing seeds from eight spats, three capis, ultra x spat, a natalensis, a tropical intermedia, and Cape "Large Form". I’ve got tons of adorable little VFT seedlings now and some happy rosettes and the typical filiformis hanging out in my grow tent. The other filiformis hibernacula are chilling out in my attached shed with my first girl for the winter - excited to see them liven up come springtime! Looking forward to more learning and collecting. Cheers!

Last edited:
:welcome: to TerraForums! The sticky plants were of NO help or NOT ENOUGH help? If one was caught, they helped. Gotta up the game! Step 1, get rid of the media. Step 2, use Drosera AS the media.
burmaniiforest.jpg :ROFLMAO::p I kid, I kid!

Hah! Fly trap was of NO help with the gnats. Not directly, anyway.. It could be argued that the fascination with CPs it instilled in me led to the capture of a single gnat by one of the drosera plants I brought in 🤷‍♂️

Oh, when I said sticky traps I was referring to theseD33200E8-D1EC-4788-BF49-D8D49EC4FBBD.png

Ohhhhh! Yeah, I don't think they work good. A bowl of water with some dawn stirred in works VERY well for them though!

Ohhhhh! Yeah, I don't think they work good. A bowl of water with some dawn stirred in works VERY well for them though!
Yeahh, not for me.. I tried that, cider vinegar traps, other weird things I can’t remember.. I had those yellow sticky pads everywhere and the long paper ones you pull out of the tube hanging wherever I could. They definitely work at snagging a great deal of the older gnats. They turned black with bugs and needed replacement constantly. But they didn’t address the root of the problem.. Literally the roots where they were reproducing like crazy. Used neem a couple of times, but what really did the trick was mosquito bits soaked in and strained from water. Still use that (almost) every time I water my non-CPs.

I feel like larger Mexican butterworts like Pinguicula moranensis work better for me in controlling fungus gnats.

I feel like larger Mexican butterworts like Pinguicula moranensis work better for me in controlling fungus gnats.
That would make sense to me! I saw a post somewhere that showed a ping gigantea covered in em. They’re attracted to yellows which is the reason most of those sticky pad traps are the color.

Back