What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heliamphora nutans "Giant"

Finally, the first flower of the season has arrived, though months later than usual. This year I am hoping to have the chance to collect some seed, as I had a few years back.

NUTANS4.jpg

GIANT2.jpg

Is that APS or something else?

:drool:

Fantastic plant, as usual Big Bella :hail:

*sigh* if only the didn't start blocking photobucket at work...I'm sure it looks great bb.

Very nice! Me likey!

WOW that looks even better than I was imagining at work!!!!

hooly!! thats huuuuge!!

Absolutely stunning!

Absolutely stunning!

Thanks . . .

I have that plant or divisions of it since college -- and that was a while ago. Before its last division, it was producing leaves 50 cm (20") in length . . .

Very nice plant :)
Its a lovely vigorous species.

cheers

bill

Thanks . . .

I have that plant or divisions of it since college -- and that was a while ago. Before its last division, it was producing leaves 50 cm (20") in length . . .
Wow! Keep me in mind for a trade if you ever get divisions of it. I'd also love to try to tissue culture some of the seeds too.

Beautiful plant, nutans is for sure a favorite. Thanks for sharing.

I finally got around to pollinating the first two flowers of the season; and for those unfamiliar with Heliamphora naughty bits, the maturity of the pollen-producing stamens don't coincide with the receptivity of the stigma (which only lasts a few days), so that a single flower cannot self-pollinate. The pollen from one flower then becomes necessary to fertilize the next, and so on.

The most successful method that I have used over the years, has been to remove the stamens and cut them open to release the pollen; then to apply the cut ends to the stigma.

Too much coffee too late at night . . .

Here is a shot of the second Heliamphora flower along the scape -- one of several on the way. The inset with the arrow illustrates the female stigma (surrounded by anthers) whose surface has now browned and is no longer receptive. Luckily, it was pollinated a few days ago with anthers from the first flower. With any luck, I'll have a good store of seeds this Fall . . .

HNUTANSGIANT-2.jpg

Last edited:
Phenomenal plants and photos!

Back