What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heliamphora dying

I purchased two Heliamphora hybrids about 5 months ago.  They are growing outdoors in Honolulu in partial shade under the same conditions as some lowland/intermediate Nepenthes.  One is H. heterodoxa x minor, and the other is H. heterodoxa x ionasii.  Both are small plants with pitchers about 2 in. long.  Both are growing in LFS, top watered every other day or so, so the medium stays moist.

The H. heterodoxa x ionasii is surviving so far.  There are no more pitchers than when I got the plant, but the pitchers have grown larger.

The H. heterodoxa x minor pitchers were staying about the same size, and new pitchers were replacing the old ones that died.  So in the beginning it was in a holding pattern.  However, a couple of months ago I noticed that the new pitchers did not have nectar caps, and in recent weeks the pitchers have been dying off faster than new ones have been growing.  There are only about 6 pitchers left (it started with about 15).  I figure it’s because the weather has been getting too warm because summer is approaching.

The high temperature during the day is now often in the high 80’s, and the low at night is in the mid-70’s.  (The relative humidity is in the 70’s or 80’s, so that shouldn’t be a problem.)  I think the plants, especially the H. heterodoxa x minor, might need a cooler night temperature.  However, that would be difficult to provide.  Anyone have any thoughts on this?

sound like they are jsut getting used to our setup, should be fine although there are probably a few things you can do to fix this, first higher humidity sounds like an issue, if you are haveing trouble with this, try growing them in ziplock bags, second of all, cooler night temps as you said, these Helis are from Venezuela, and like temps around 60 at night, with high humidity, I dont know how to achieve cooler night tempuratures except take it in every night with would be no fun, thats all I have to say

I'm 0 for 2 in growing H. heterodoxa x minor.
From what I have found out from asking questions here, it seems I watered mine too much and cause the plant to rot both times. I watered mine twice a week the same I do my sundews and sarrs. If I get to try another one I will be watering it less like I do my cephs which grow great,

They need as close to 100% humidity as possible

My H. heterocoxa x minor is thriving in a terrarium with the following conditions:

80W fluorescent lights (6" under, 12hr photoperiod year-round)
>90% humidity
75F daytime, 65-70F night
good air circulation with CPU fan
1:1 peat:perlite mix
Always kept moist but not standing in water
Fed dried crushed insects once per month and foliar fed with diluted orchid fertilizer at same time.

Hope some of this information on growing conditions helps. Good luck with your plant.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]They need as close to 100% humidity as possible

maybe for the heterodaxa or minor, but I have H. ionasii growing outside on the deck. Humidity fluxuates, it get watered when it rains, etc. etc. During the winter it's in my highland tank, and I do let it get fairly dry before waterring it again. I'm not sure that's a good thing, though.

At any rate, at least for ionasii, the idea that it needs REALLY humid conditions is exagerated at best.

Well they seem to do fine in those conditions the H.. heterodoxa also. Anyway Tropics if the soil is as nutrient poor as in teh wild you will only have 2-5 pitchers on a plant at a time anyway except on a couple species. I doubt this is true in your case. What do you have them potted in?
I think maybe they need to be in intermediate to highland conditions. This could be accomplished by leaving them outside in the day then covering the pot with a plastic cup or some water tight containter and bringing it in side at night.

What kind of water are you using?

Also, I find that plants in dark pots will heat up when the sun hits them. If you can shade the pots, this would help keep the roots cool.

I find that Helia's grow very well for me if I can drop the evening temperatures by about 15 deg F.

So, make sure your water is right, (RO, distiled, rain) and shade your pots...

Steve

On rereading your post, a new thought that comes to mind is perhaps the salty air is responsible for the gradual demise of your H. heterodoxa x minor.

I know people who live on the coastline and several have informed me that their choice of outdoor plants is limited by the salty air, which has a very negative effect on plants not evolutionarily acclimated to such conditions. This finding is also often mentioned in the outdoor gardening literature.

Salty air came to mind because a) you mentioned that you live in Honolulu, b) keep the plants outdoors, and c) they have gradually declined in health.

Though the chance of this is slim and the fact that your other Heli is doing well makes salty air an even less likely culprit, I thought I'd mention it anyway in passing.

Thats a good point. I would think though his other plants would also decline unless they are more salt tolerant (or maybe because they are in bigger pots)

I agree that salty air is an unlikely culprit (because his other plants are doing fine) and mentioned this in my reply. I thought I'd mention it anyway because who knows?--stranger things have happened!

Best regards. --Chloroplast

Hi all:
I do think that temperature drops are needed by Heliamphoras to do well. that and humidity.
If the temperature drops down to 60 F, it'd be ideal. 70's are not good enough.

Gus

Thanks to everyone who posted for your insights, observations, and suggestions.  You have confirmed my suspicion that my heli is not getting enough of a drop in night temperature.

Here are some responses to comments and questions that some people posed.  Treaqum, the plants are growing in LFS.  Steve L, I'm using tap water, which, fortunately, is so low in minerals that it can be used to grow CPs like Nepenthes, Sarracenia, and Drosera.  Chloroplast, you’re right that salty air can be a problem for those who live near the ocean, but I’m a couple of miles inland.

Again, thanks to all for your posts.

Back