What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heli pollination 101?

• Thread starter Av8tor1
  • Start date
Under Re-construction :)

That's a really good tutorial!

beautiful record mate. I love that you took the time to actually record the stages that the flower matures in. You seriously have to publish this as a article in the ICPS. It will definitely be useful to people in the future.

H. pulchella observations:

Pollen release much later than that of H. tatei v. tatei.
Anthers to the point of being very ripe, darker in color with a much drier appearance.
Flowers #1 and #2 releasing pollen at the same time.
I believe flower #3 is receptive, pollinated with pollen from flower #1

Reduced humidity about a week ago when I was unable to harvest pollen from pulchella #1
I thought maybe the humidity was excessive. It would only make sense that a relationship would exist.
More research needs done..

H. tatei v. tatei
Flowers #2 and #3 ovary size seems to have stabilized. Both are an estimated 150% of flower #1

Av

Cool, be sure to update when the seeds are ripe! How many seeds are usually in a flower?

Ant,

I've read reports of anywhere from 4 to 100 (6 is commonly cited)... with some references stating that seed number is highly dependent on the age of the plant.
Older plants reportedly produce a significantly higher number of seed

However, I don't know of any controlled studies on the subject.

Av

Update:

The unpollinated tatei var. tatei ovary appeared ready to harvest. Upon opening only undeveloped ovules were found (as expected).
Timeline appears to be about 12 weeks +/- a week or two

Av

Back