What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heli and ceph.

hello tf.
i got some money for my birthday and i went on a little CP shopping spree. I bought a bunch of stuff, including a ceph and a heliampora minor. im new to these two and im looking for some advice.

i plan on growing them in a terrarium.
my terrarium has a constant 85% humidity and is 70 degrees during the day and it goes down to 62 degrees at night. i have two floroucents on the tank currently. a 15ww t8 5500k and then a 40ww t8 6500k. i have my lights running for 16hours a day.

im wondering what soil media really works with these two.?
ive read a few different things and some use open tray with just a little water, so does that work?
and any other tips.

At the moment, I use cypress bark mulch and live LFS for helis and I use cypress bark mulch, peat, perlite, and quartz sand for cephs. There are many different potting mixes that people use that would also work.

I have used the tray method for both ( pots sitting a little bit of water), but I would not recommend it for others as there is a risk of root rot.

My general watering tips would be to water helis often and let cephs dry a little bit before watering again. In addition to reading the advice from others growers, I research how the plants grow in nature and try to duplicate the growing conditions the best I can.

I use 100% live LFS for helis, and 1:1 peat and perlite for cephs.

invest in some fans to help circulate the air. cephs HATE stagnant warm air.

Just to share the info, I also use a cypress bark mulch mix with live sphag on top, then for Ceph's its just a peat and silica sand mix.

good luck

For my Cephalotus, I use one part peat, one part perlite, and one part sand. This allows the soil to drain very well, yet still keep the soil moist.

I grew my Cephalotus in a windowsill with humidity down to 15% during the winter and freezing temperatures. Over the years, I believe the main key to my success with the Cephalotus was a mild winter dormancy, or at least a decent temp drop at night. For soil, I used peat/perlite. I never have been a fan of sand, myself. But, you can do what you wish. As for Heliamphora, they seem to be rather fond of LFS.

I use LFS for both and try to keep them in a coolish environment. Helis like it more humid than Cephs and want more light.

thanks for the tips. i made a mixture of peat/perlite/LFS/ charcoal and a little sand. then i coverered the top with lfs for some humidity. im making sure they get tons of light.

FWIW:

Picture039-1.jpg

Picture081.jpg

very nice Jim!

you have done well
Av

LOL! *grasshopper*

LOL! *grasshopper*

Tell me Grasshopper, why seek you the path of Heliamphora enlightenment? Grasshopper already knows secret... just think it's hard, therefore Grasshopper block inner power to realize knowledge.
To know Heliamphora is to know the Six pillars of CP enlightenment.

First Pillar is Light
Second Pillar is Soil
Third Pillar is Temps
Fourth Pillar is Water
Fifth Pillar is Feeding
Sixth Pillar is Humidity

Grasshopper, each pillar is nothing more than a variable that is to be met. These six pillars bear the load of success. If any one pillar is weak or missing, the rest will crumble.

Before you climb the mountain grasshopper you must be able to see the path. To do this you must navigate through much fog and choose the correct path when many are wrong.
But with the knowledge of the pillars, your journey is clear, the path marked and your goal assured

(I just couldnt resist :) )

That was good!

woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow. :-))

And USEFUL.

I plan to purchase a couple easy Helis soon-ish. I will remember this.

Back