What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heating

Hello, I was wondering how i should heat my new 55gal terrarium this winter. I dont have anything in it yet but hopefully soon. I was thinking of a 300 watt aquarium heater but im not sure if that is enough or to much, the temps get around the low 60's at night and the low 70's during the day.
Any Advice will be appreciated.

Jayson.

Add water, then something to support eggcrate and then the eggcrate. Put the heater in the water and add a fan for circulation, to prevent condensation, and to circulate the warm air.

If you heater has an external temperature proble, put the probe in the air and not underwater.

Just a few topics down, you'll find this topic: http://www.terraforums.com/ib312....t=26353 That should help. It is what justlikeapill was sugestion (basically) You prolly want to use 2 aquarium heaters though since the tank is so big.. 1 on each side. Maybe 3 if nessasary. I did it to a smaller tank (as the other topic shows) and never found reason for fans though.
Andrew

What are you growing in there? Those might be the right temps for this time of year.
My 55 is in a cold room so I use a under-tank heating-pad for a smaller size tank to bring up the temp a bit, but not too much.

Right now im not growing anything in it. I plan to grow some D.aliciae,D.binata,Dcapensis and some other subtropical sundew and some lowland nepenthes. Thanks for the info

Back