What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

heating the new gh for the first time

I have decided to do an overwinter gh this year housing a combo of nepenthes and various veggies. Far as heat I am thinking LP for longevity/efficiency. from what I have discerned electric isn't an option unless I set it up for 230 vac(which im not) and doesn't produce enough heat to keep things cozy at 115vac. kerosene seems big, messy and not feasible unless I install some kinda of larger reservoir of fuel to keep things going(which im not).

so LP seems to be the best option for me......a small heater can heat the entire gh for 2-5 days on a 20lb cylinder, double that for a 40lb.

first any suggestions for additional heating options? I have a 7x7x12 gh and need to keep it 70ish 67 min. it gets below freezing but very rarely below zero.

next LP emissions will not bother the plants will it?

answer is no......seems main emissions are c02 and plants are quite fond of it. lol. everything is going well......i beefed up the overall insulation and improved the efficiency about 10 fold so all is well.....only workaround is the condensation/humidity from the temp differential. Don't have to worry about humidity for the winter thats for sure......it's like an underwater cave in the tropics in there. literally dripping from the ceiling.....i am taking steps to better protect my electricals now!

CO2? Seriously? Wow. I'm planning a greenhouse that would be heated mainly with propane and I've been trying to figure out how to vent the exhaust. CO2 would be a fantastic byproduct.

Back