What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Haworthia

My parents got me a Haworthia from a local garden center. I need to know everything on how to care for this plant. All I know is that it is a succulent.

Hey, I have a couple of different ones, they are really REALLY easy to keep- I treat them like Crassulae, don't water too much in winter, make sure they're well drained and don't worry too much about light, I have them in north east and west windows, and keep a small jar of water in the middle of my kitchen(which gets almost no light at all) for rooting cuttings

As far as I know dealing with the offshoots is a matter of personal taste, I prefer to yank them off once they're big enough so as to maintain a single spiky plant (don't wait too long though, they can be incredibly stubborn if you let them go too much)

That should cover it, if anyone has any more info/observations on whether to leave the side/off shoots on or remove them, please add it as I am not too sure if it's just preference or if, down the road, one practice or the other could cause problems...

Can you propagate them by leaf cuttings? If so, do they grow slowly or quickly?

Oh and I forgot in my PM (cos you didn't askl
biggrin.gif
)
they do grow kinda slow, but not too bad, as mentioned I root them in really dim light, but in the past I had them on a windowsill and basically once they have recovered from being "pinched" (takes a week or two, maybe a month) they get going prety quickly

Only some can be propagated by leaf cuttings - others seem to refuse. If in doubt and if you have spare leaves - gently pull clockwise and anti-clockwise one of the outer leaves until it comes away. I then replant it in the same pot (lazy) - and dig it up when it has rooted and made more. The variagated cultivars mostly cannot be done like this, and must be divisions.
Gasterias are similar - but should be more liked in this group because (they are not carnivorous but) they have flowers shaped like stomachs....
BR
Chris

Back