What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Have plant question...  help...

i'm putting this topic is this forum cause this is the only forum everyone seems to answer questions in. i have a needle palm that i'm growing in my yard for the first time this year- the temp tonight in ohio(where i live) is dropping down to 34* now it is planted up against my house and in mulch and i added a crap load more mulch around the base. i'm going to throw a heavy sheet over the top of it tonight the main thing i want to know is what can i use when snow falls this winter to cover up the palm? they can only withstand so much cold before you have to cover them up and they will dry out in the winter from the wind chill. if i use something to cover up the whole plant will it kill it from not getting fresh air or any light to the plant?? thanks for any info and ideas you may have

I think I would rcomend growing it inside... unless this is one of those hardy palms? We had our first frost last night (and another even colder one tonight) and I had a rubber plant out. It is fine since it was under an overhang. I would say that if it is acclimated to the cold it will be fine, but before long I would move it in.
Hope this helps,

Cole

hey cole- nope its a cold hardy palm- that i bought from a grower in New Bern NC. thanks

Hi Jeff,

If you can cut it back you can by a Rose Cover. They come in various size and styles. If you need air exchange you need to buy the better and more expensive model. They allow for the air exchange through a hole. They are thickier and trimmed in plastic.

If the plant is cold hardy you should be able to cover it.

For my bog plants I am going to the extreme. I am building a removable cold frame. This will be covered with mulch. It will have a plexi top that can be used as an early grow chamber in the spring.

I hope this help. Those palms are grown in a couple of nice locations here and they do not die during the winter. They are cut back and covered. They seem to come back alright each year. I hope this helps and good luck.

hey copper- so where do you live at that they have needle palms growing? i haven't found really anything online- the forums i checked nobody is ever on them or looks at them very often
sad.gif
but i have founf nothing that says cut the leaves back- so i don't want to do that and shock the plant. hmm your idea sounds great - but more then i want to spend- what about using some clear plastic material- that is really strong- like a tarp type thing? only thing with that is the snow will pile on it and crush the plant.... the cold wind is what will dry out the palm and kill it... let me know thanks Jeff

Back