What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

have a question about my two plants

i put a flytrap and sundew in my basement on turkey day and valentines day is coming up and the sundew still hasen't really died back at all? should i leave it dormant longer than normal?

What species of dew is it?

Steve

Its important to know what kind of sundew it is. Most are tropical and do not need dormancy. If it hasn't formed a hibernacula or gone into a resting phase, it most likely shouldn't have been in your basement. lol If it still looks ok, it probably is none the worse for wear. But again, we would need more description or a photo on your plant to tell you more. The 'dews you commonly find at Lowes and places like that are usually D. capensis and D. adelae...neither of which have a cold dormancy requirement.

Was it too hot or cold in the winter to put your VFT outside? I would let the natural photoperiod determine when your plants come out of dormancy. I like Mother Nature to dictate that. But that's just me.
smile.gif

Suzanne

ozzy gave it to me and told me it was a intermedia sundew and it needed dormancy?

I wouldn't worry too much about it. If it still looks like it did when you put it in the basement you shouldn't worry. If it hasn't had much new growth then that also means it's dormant. Dormancy don't always mean that the plant completly dies back. Sometimes it takes a rest by not growning any new leaves, or sometimes it may just grow very slow.
How many hours of light does it get and what are the temps?

Back