What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has anyone tried "coir"?

Has anyone out there tried any "Coir" products (aka coconut fiber) for growing their CPs?  Everything I've read about it suggests it should be ideal.

They say its something like 14 X water expandable and a renewable resource, better than peat, although most ppl still stick to canadian peat sphagnum peat (quote - I have seen VFTs grow better in peat than coir...) Don't know if true or not, but still you could give it a try.

Hehe, they label it 'wondersoil' here and say all these fancy things about it (plus marking a ridiculously high price on it), look at the ingredients! Coir, peat...then you won't get ripped off (like I *almost* did)
smile_m_32.gif

Jason

Ps. Is coir 100% coconut fibre? Becuz I used it to make a bog b4 (terrraium bog) - coco fibre on the bottom and a layer of LFS on top? I should think coir alone would be too dense a medium, maybe mixing it in the 50:50 ratio with perlite/sand would help...otherwise you've got waterlogged roots to deal with!
smile_m_32.gif

Back