What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has anyone heard of this Nursery?

Hi guys. I am curious to know if any of you guys ever heard of this Nursery. The guy whom I'm supposed to get eddy seeds from says they were collected from Garantea Nursery from Australia. I cant find any records of this Nursery.

This is how I found him.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Carnivorous-Pla...trkparms=65:12|66:2|39:1|72:1205|293:2|294:50

Here are the messages he sent me.

Dear rarenepenthesforeveryone,

hello
I have 1,000 seed from this season
I sent to seedling lab for make in flask
now i have only 500 seeds i sell i set is 30 seeds
I buy from garantea nursery in Australia seed very fresh
Thank you

- o_osabai

hello Mike
for 250 seeds is 80 USD is OK ?
Im very feel love it because i dont know when i will find this it again , species very rare and hard to give the seeds
Best regard

- o_osabai

hello
If you win it i will pay for ebay listing fee
so you can pay me for ebay fee ? please
or cancle order for i got listing fee back
after end of auction what do you think ?
for 30 seeds I dont have value for it
,im agree to sell you 300 seeds for 100 USD
what do you think ?
thank you

- o_osabai
This was my last message from him. He hasn't contacted me since. Luckily I haven't payed him yet. He wont respond to my requests of an invoice. There's something strange about him. I want to keep you fellow growers aware of him before spending $$$$ his way.

So if this doesn't happen with him, I want to make a formal apology to anyone who got as excited as me about the plant. I am just as disappointed about this as you. Please don't let this affect our future trade relations, etc..

Best regards

Mike

His english isn't to good, perhaps he meant a Guaranteed nursery

I cant seem to find that nursery, the Google search asks me did you mean guaranteed nursery. I agree with it probably meaning a guaranteed Nursery versus Garantea. But then that means he's not telling me which exact nursery. Which brings it back to the possibility that if he really does have eddy seed, they are most likely poached. And that he realizes he has been caught or something.

Perhaps he wanted to say 'guaranteed that they were colelcted from a nursery'' ? no idea, if he won't respond then don't pay him, forget about it.

any eddy seeds were most definetly not nursery grown. So that part he is almost 100% lying to you. However, that does not mean they werent legaly collected, as there are ways (all be them hard to come by) to get permits and such.

Good luck, and i for one will not hold it agaisnt you in the least if it falls through, i rather feel very bad for you. :(

thank you Frankie and others for your understanding. If this guy is a fraud, I got lucky and dodged a bullet here, because I haven't been able to send him payment yet. So the most I'm out is the excitement and the possible trust towards him. Its all good though. I just know to avoid this guy.

Nepenthes101... I understand your excitement. I had to read your post twice and check the date (nope... wasn't April 1).

Pyro made a pretty good explaination of why he thinks they are either not legit, or if they are are most likely poached. I would love to have an eddy, but not at that cost.

I would like to see those who do have mature eddys unite for the cause of conservation and donate some material for the purpose of TC. If it could be produced in quantities similar to Rajah it would force the price down and make collecting plants and seed from the wild less lucrative and hopefully not worth the time.

Of course I know nothing about TC or the success rate of eddys. But it is a thought.

Thank you for providing this info Mike.

Given what Mike posted I am inclined to agree with the prior posts that it is a misspelling of "guarantee" by someone who does not speak English as their first language.

Additionally, given how this person operates I am not almost certain this is the same person who did the eBay auction for Nep. edwardsiana seed a while back. A little more information so everyone understands my logic.

When the eBay auction ended, a friend of mine contacted the seller to see if he might have some spare seed available for a second chance offer. My friend was told that indeed there was some more seed available and it could be had for the price my friend had initially bid. My friend sent the money and never heard from the guy again. And the user name that seller was using is no longer on eBay...

I think it is unfortunate but our hobby has finally hit the point where scammers have learned they can make some good money playing people. I have heard a million stories like this in my other hobby, once someone sees a chance at easy money they begin to prey on legit members of the hobby.

Mike, I am sorry you got sucked into this, it is hard to see a scammer for what they are sometimes. I do not think anyone blames you and if they do then tell them to bring it to me or another Mod and we will set them straight. Your intentions were good, I know that and I am sure others do too.

I would like to see those who do have mature eddys unite for the cause of conservation and donate some material for the purpose of TC.

I would like to see this as well, and not just with Nep. edwardsiana

If it could be produced in quantities similar to Rajah it would force the price down and make collecting plants and seed from the wild less lucrative and hopefully not worth the time.

Of course I know nothing about TC or the success rate of eddys. But it is a thought.

And a good thought it is. Unfortunately Nep. edwardsiana is at the opposite end of the spectra from rajah when it comes to TC. It is very finicky and difficult to clone out. So it will take time. But if the people who are currently growing it do unite and are willing to add some more material to the pool then I am sure a favorable outcome will happen some day.

Last edited:
But if the people who are currently growing it do unite and are willing to add some more material to the pool then I am sure a favorable outcome will happen some day.
The problem here is this seems to take folks who have truly altruistic motives.

If I have one of the only chunks of gold in the world & it's now worth $1 million (and appreciating every day), why would I tell people where they can find more? My $1 million would depreciate rapidly as the supply increased ... :headwall:

The problem here is this seems to take folks who have truly altruistic motives.

If I have one of the only chunks of gold in the world & it's now worth $1 million (and appreciating every day), why would I tell people where they can find more? My $1 million would depreciate rapidly as the supply increased ... :headwall:

For the reason (Greed) that one would want to keep it themselves will be the same reason it will be brought to the masses. I just don't want to see a lovely species brought to extinction from poaching in the process... again due to greed.

Back