What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has anyone ever used cocos panels for epiphytic Utricularia ?

I used to use these for backgrounds in my dart frog tanks. They are perfect for epiphytic plants and some of the pickier Utrics like U.quelchii and U.campbelliana would do very well on them. They hold moisture far better than tree fern panels without remaining too wet. They stopped making them a few years ago and I was planning on making some of my own. Are any of you familiar with these ? From what I remember they are made of coir that's held together with some sort of latex type product. If any of you have any input on the composition of this product, I'd appreciate it.

http://www.herpsupplies.com/images///VP-CP/sdm001x.jpg

I use coco fiber for my tarantula's substrate. Maybe if you stuff a net pot with coco fiber it would work just as well.

I think tree fern would be cheaper and easier.

My aunts nursery sells coco fiber panel by the foot I think one roll is 2 ft wide x however long you want and the other is 3 ft wide by however long you want. I lined the back wall of one of my tanks with it long ago. Ant plants and those little "dancing ladies" orchids did well on there... maybe they were classed as "Equitant Onicidiums"?

Their stuff isn't plastic coated or anything but somehow the fibers are spun/woven together. Have you seen that "ECO WEB" stuff? It's kinda like plastic coco fiber comes in all sorts of shapes and sizes, some nice branch shaped ones! I used to have bookmarks to places to order Eco Web stuff from but that was on the laptop that burned up a while back.

They are perfect for epiphytic plants and some of the pickier Utrics like U.quelchii and U.campbelliana would do very well on them.
From a growing perspective & separate from much of the 'old' literature, I haven't found any of the larger epiphytic utrics to be significantly more challenging than the others although U. alpina & asplundii are more forgiving of less-than-optimal treatment (imho). The two epiphytic little guys (campbelliana & jamesoniana) are easily overgrown - which can be an issue. As for being picky, I'd have to agree on the U. campbelliana - but that's probably just because I haven't really found it's sweet spot yet ...

They hold moisture far better than tree fern panels without remaining too wet.
I'd be very interested in playing with some of this stuff if you ever relocate a source.

Back