What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hardening off binata clones

seedjar

Let's positive thinking!
I can't stand to throw away anything that still seems alive, so when I pruned my D. binata dichotoma a few months back I threw the cut leaves into an undrained container of peat and live sphagnum and put it in a freezer bag to cook under my lights.
Now they plantlets are here and much too big for the freezer bag, with some petioles five inches long. I tried leaving the bag open for a few days but the dry air in my apartment singed the sphagnum and immature leaves (the parent plant does fine in the dry air.) Now I have the bag partially open and today I'm going to open it a little more. I've been misting to try to keep the soil moist as the air dries.
Does anybody have any advice about dividing the plants from their parent leaves? It looks like one of the parents is still alive and making goo in places. Are the roots still fragile at this point in development - do I need to take special precautions not to disturb them when I pot the plants up?
Thanks,
~Joe

No, 'dew plantelts are hardy so are pings (although I recommend you take these out of the bag as soon as they develope plantlets.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (seedjar @ May 18 2005,4:46)]Does anybody have any advice about dividing the plants from their parent leaves? It looks like one of the parents is still alive and making goo in places. Are the roots still fragile at this point in development - do I need to take special precautions not to disturb them when I pot the plants up?
Hi humidity & moisture are very good and very important at this stage. You may want to put the newly potted plants back in a baggie for a bit until they get somewhat established.

Every time I try to rush them out into the real world, I regret it. I've killed more cephs bringing them out of their propagation (high humidity area) than I can count. A little extra time here is time well spent.... Good luck.

Back