What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hard?

• Thread starter dewy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    grow
I am looking at possibly getting a U.bisquamata Bettys Bay' and a U.tricolor in the future. Are these plants relatively easy to grow and do they spread quickly? Also, does anybody have a reliable U.S. supplier where I might could find these as I have been looking for them for a long time and I can't seem find any U.S.suppliers.
Thanks,
Dewy

they are easy but you'll have a hard time getting U. tricolor to flower.

i got mine on the boards. ask around

U. tricolor is a weed, well as close as a plant can get to being a weed without flowering and producing seed. it is simple to grow but darn near impossible to flower.

on 'Betty's Bay', while i dont grow it i would assume it is similar to typical bisquamata in all respects except flower size, in which case its another weed. im using some in a dart frog tank since i figure it will spread faster than moss and make a nice ground cover.

I hope it's not impossible! With any luck, these scapes actually belong to the U. tricolor in this pot. This was taken today:

U_tricolor.sized.jpg

Capslock

i said darn near impossible. a big CONGRATS to you Capslock, how in the heck are you growing that thing, you must share your technique(even if its not on purpose
smile_m_32.gif
)

It certainly IS by accident! I just put it in peat/sand like the rest of my utrics, and put it outside on my deck. It gets afternoon sun and is exposed to the seasons.

Capslock

Caps, don't get your hopes up just yet. U. tricolor is notorious for putting up lots of those tall scapes, but they almost always abort before they produce flowers. Check out this thread from 2003
http://www.petflytrap.com/cgi-bin....51;st=0

I can agree fully with Bob. I had 12 of those last year but nothing came of them.

Wow, thanks for bringing me down guys!
smile_n_32.gif

We'll see... no sign of aborting yet. I've got my fingers crossed!

Capslock

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Pyro @ June 21 2005,2:36)]I can agree fully with Bob. I had 12 of those last year but nothing came of them.
Could it be that a minimum plant size is needed before it will flower, and that this size is bigger than the pots we generally keep them in?

i think while easy to grow it is extreamly picky about flowering conditions. the aborted flower stalks probably mean you did something right and than something changed(cold draft, a lil to wet, lil to dry, lil to warm) who knows. personally i think mine just has a personal vendetta against me.

Back