What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Happy... Wondering why eh.?

Cuz i finally got my first VFT!!
DSCI1600.jpg

DSCI1602.jpg

heres my soil media, sphaghum peat moss,peat,perlite
DSCI1603.jpg

My humidity tray
DSCI1604.jpg

my little friend is awaiting nights that aren't below freezing so a little while in will have to do!:)

Did you check those rocks with vinegar?

I actually just noticed your plant isn't even in water. Just get rid of the stones.

Congrats! Do you have any other CPs beside that one? Btw, what's for the stones? Do they actually help with humidity?

Looks pretty healthy, congratulations!
The rocks aren't nessecary if your gowing your flytrap outside.

Capensis: Those rocks (correct me if I'm wrong) are meant to slowly release water (humidity) into the air over a period of time.

-Matt

well flytraps don't need high humidity to grow, I suggest taking the rocks out and sitting the plant in an inch or so of water.

You're in the same county where VFTs grow naturally in the wild. You don't need any extra humidity, not that the rocks are having any effect at all.

My only concern is that they could be leeching alkaline minerals into the water.

You're in the same county where VFTs grow naturally in the wild. You don't need any extra humidity, not that the rocks are having any effect at all.

My only concern is that they could be leeching alkaline minerals into the water.

Uhhh, doesn't he live in France? At least I believe that is the language on his VFT tag.

I second the motion (or is it fifth or sixth the motion?) ;)

take out the rocks..the pot should be sitting in the water.
the rocks are useless, and are actually hurting your plant at this point,
because they are keeping the pot up off the water..

just get rid of the rocks..trust us..(all of us..everyone agrees..)
its the right thing to do.

Scot

Its also a total myth that a "pebble tray" increases humidity..
it never works..

it might increase the humidity in the first few millimeters above the stones,
but after that the "extra" humidity just dissipates out into the room air and never makes it all the way up to the plant.

and even if it did work, which it doesn't, VFTs dont need the extra humidity anyway.

Scot

Last edited by a moderator:
Why does it have so few leaves? When I got mine it had like 20 leaves on it.

Why does it have so few leaves? When I got mine it had like 20 leaves on it.
Maybe yours was more mature... no two plants are the same.

The explanation for that one is pretty obvious.

Its also a total myth that a "pebble tray" increases humidity..
it never works..

it might increase the humidity in the first few millimeters above the stones,
but after that the "extra" humidity just dissipates out into the room air and never makes it all the way up to the plant.

I think this comes from the orchid-growing technique... You use a tray with gravel in the greenhouse. With closed space and temperature flux, it actually can make a difference, especially right near the gravel like you say (which is where it counts for orchid cultivation, I'm guessing.)
Congratz on your new acquisition, Muscipula. While we're all throwing around suggestions, I'll recommend finding a deeper pot for it - I've had much greater success with VFTs when keeping them in pots at least twice as deep as the plant is tall. Where I live, it's a little cloudy and moist for a VFT's taste, and I think that their roots were getting drowned in the winter when the water trays would run high. This may or may not be important for you, depending on your local weather.
Enjoy!
~Joe

Uhhh, doesn't he live in France? At least I believe that is the language on his VFT tag.

Could the VFT be grown in Canada and shipped into US?

I'm seeing a lot of house plants (non-carnivorous) shipped in from Canadian greenhouses lately.

Thanks everyone, i have removed the pebbles and my whereabouts is newfoundland so thats just to set thing straight on my current weather.. my little friend will have to wait a while before i can trust it to go out 24/7. anything else i should do.? is my pot to small.?oh my. well thanks for your congrats's.!

seedjar,
your signature:

o/~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o/~

reminded me of this classic from my teen years, (mid 80's)

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uyeC9mSWV-w&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uyeC9mSWV-w&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

I really miss the days when MTV actually played music videos..

Scot

Thanks everyone, i have removed the pebbles and my whereabouts is newfoundland so thats just to set thing straight on my current weather.. my little friend will have to wait a while before i can trust it to go out 24/7. anything else i should do.? is my pot to small.?oh my. well thanks for your congrats's.!

seedjar,
your signature:

o/~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o/~

reminded me of this classic from my teen years, (mid 80's)

:-D

Heres what the sig is from:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_dFpKZo54w&NR=1

Back