What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Happy Sun Return to all!

PlantAKiss

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, Engl
Today is a day to celebrate!  At 1:35 p.m. the sun will be directly above the Tropic of Capricorn.  It is the winter solstice, also known as "Sun Return" or Yuletide--the shortest day and longest night of the year.  The sun appears at its lowest point in the sky and its noontime elevation appears to be the same for several days before and after the solstice. Hence the origin of the word solstice which comes from the Latin word "solstitium" (sol meaning "sun" and -stitium meaning "a stoppage"). Following the winter solstice the days begin to grow longer and the nights shorter.

Harvests are done and larders are full of the bounty Mother Earth gives to us.  It is a time for rest and restoration; for thanksgiving for all the gifts we have received throughout the year.  It marks the beginning of winter--our time renew and gather strength for the spring that will come offering its burst of new life.  Celebrate today and welcome the sun's return to us; wish all your friends and family a Happy Sun Return!

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:blue'>Blessings to All of You for a Winter Season Filled with Warmth and Peace.</span></span>

<span style='color:green'>Sun Return

Tonite the longest night is done!
Each day forth will bring more sun.
Though winter now settles
her cold mantle about the woods and fields,
drawing sleep 'round her children green,
it is the sleep of renewal, of fresh creation.
Take this rest as you will--prepare!
The new year fast approaches
with its innocence like that of an infant
offering the cup of hope and possibilities
to all who will dare to drink.
Let the dying year lay down
its dark and weary soul,
leaving empty its vessel
for the sun to fill with new life and light.
Tonite the longest night is done!
Each day forth will bring more sun!</span>

Gee...am I the only one excited about the sun coming back?? Longer daylight hours? Being halfway through dormancy?

confused.gif

I think its very exciting! Oh well. I'll party by myself.
biggrin.gif

.... "YAY"? HEHE Actually, I think my plants are just now in full dormancy...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PlantAKiss @ Dec. 21 2005,3:21)]Gee...am I the only one excited about the sun coming back??  Longer daylight hours?  Being halfway through dormancy?

confused.gif

I think its very exciting!  Oh well.  I'll party by myself.
biggrin.gif
Im not very excited lol Here January and February are much colder then December so we have still the worst of the winter to get through.

Well the important feature here is...LENGTHENING DAYS! Each day the daylight will get a liiiiiittle longer. Before you know it, you'll be noticing it.
smile.gif

All this means is I'll halfta start going back to work earlier and earlier... I was just now starting to enjoy a 7.00 am start time... And now it'll start going back untill it's back to 4.30 am
smile_h_32.gif
this suleistise:)-P) thing SUCKS! hahahehehoho

Wait...do I hear violins playing?? Would you like a little cheese with your whine?
smile_n_32.gif

Waahwaahwaah. Poor widdle Andrew has to get up in the darky warky.
biggrin.gif

I say "Let the sunshine in...let the sunshine in...the suuuuuun shine in!"

well i for one am disapointed! It still hasn't snowed where i live!

Awww. That is a shame. We've had some snow. Not a REALLY good one yet but at least we've had a little. Doesn't look like a white Christmas though.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PlantAKiss @ Dec. 21 2005,2:19)]Doesn't look like a white Christmas though.
NOW who is crying!!!?
smile_m_32.gif

JLAP. LOL
smile_n_32.gif

Back