What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hand guns

• Thread starter Ozzy
  • Start date

Ozzy

SirKristoff is a poopiehead
Staff member
Supporter
I have been looking for Federal hydroshok Ammunition for a .44 special. Do they even make them for .44 specials? If so does anybody know where I can get them? Ammo for them are really hard to find.

ozzy, did you try the federal ammo website?

I did a search but couldn't find it.

Hey Ozzy, My uncle is the largest gun retailer in NE. I'll ask and see where it might be found.

I'll get back to you
Joe

smile_k_ani_32.gif
You have a gun? Only ppl in the police force can have guns here - on the other hand that makes singapore a much safer place...
smile_m_32.gif

Americans have the Right To Bear Arms, unless your a felon. All guns except rifles require a permit and rigorous background check. Laws may be different by state though. Copper's a police officer, she would know way more than me.

Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jason Wong @ June 11 2004,2:25)]
smile_k_ani_32.gif
You have a gun? Only ppl in the police force can have guns here - on the other hand that makes singapore a much safer place...
smile_m_32.gif
Yes..it's truly safe when you go to the Phone place...
(Forgot the name...its where you sign up for a phone line and stuff)
And at the entrance is a guard toting an assault rifle.
(I kid you not.) It was Penang and sure it was different. But a rifle at a phone place?

handguns dont require a permit as long as they arent carried concieled, at least here in Montana, i have 2 at the moment, a Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 mag i bought from a gun shop and a lil dinky Phoenix Arms 22 pistol that i got as part of a trade no permits required but ive been thinking about getting a CCW permit because my favored way of hauling the 44 around in my vehicle is concidered concealed according to a police officer friend of mine. im aware some states require a permit for just owning hand guns but i dont understand why, it hasnt helped their crime rates any. cant help you on the hydroshock ammo but thought i would clear up a previous statement.

Rattler

rattler you had to have gone through a back ground check if you purchased the guns since the mid 80's, that is part of the Brady Bill. It is a good law. The reason for the checks are to make sure that the guns are not being sold to people who are likely to use them to hurt people. The permits are to show that a background check has been complete and the person is legal to carry, nothing more. It is a piece paper showing that a background has been done. If you purchased a gun from a store that legally sold it to you, they did a background check. It is federal law. The only real difference between the states is who does the check and if concealed carry is allowed. Everyone that carries concealed must have a concealed carry permit or be part of law enforcement. Some states do not allowed concealed carry.

Now there are guns that are exempt from permit or serial number. They are old.

Copper, does NE allow concealed handguns?

Joe

ive had a a background check on MOST of my firearms, prolly around 15 rifles and the 2 handguns i mentioned. ive recieved a few through private sales and didnt have to have the background check. i dont think its a real hassle, takes all of 5 minutes for me since i have a fairly uncommon name their arent any false positives. all it does is make sure im a US citizen and that i dont have any felonies. as far as wiether the law is effective or not is unclear. it has prevented a handfull of ppl who shouldnt purchase guns from having them. in all reality criminals rarly buy guns from a sporting goods store. they either steal them or purchase them from "black market" dealers so their is no paper work to trace it back to them. just my 2 cents.

Rattler

I have a conceal weapons permit in Michigan. Not to hard to get one and the course you take is very educational. I carried a hand gun once and it was one of the oddest feelings in my life. That was also the last time too..

I have had my concealed carry permit for about fifteen years.  I always carry my Crimson Trace laser sight equipped, alloy frame Officers model Colt .45, especially when traveling.  However, having a CCW carries with it a big responsibility and you had better go by the book if you are involved in an incident...or you are going to jail.

The last time I checked, about 35 of the states (the last being Ohio) have provisions for issuing CCW permits to their residents and quite a few have reciprocal agreements honoring CCWs from other states.  As far as I know most LEOs favor the law and the number of people abusing their privilege has been miniscule.
California is a whole different ball game.  Out there the only people who carry firearms are the bad guys...and Arnold.

I do not favor concealed carry.  You have to ask why do you want to conceal carry.  If you want to deter someone from jumping you then what could could be more of a deterrent than seeing the gun that you are hopefully trained to use.

One reason people want to carry concealed is so that they can take the gun with them everywhere.  Well, you can't.  There are many places that guns are not and should not be allowed to be carried into.  Another argument is that you don't want people to see you carrying a gun because it looks odd.  Well, if you want to carry a gun then stand by your convictions.  It does not need to be hidden from sight.  I have had people tell me that they want to carry concealed because they want to get jumped, then they can shoot someone.

To that I must add that before you decide to carry a gun, know the laws, know that you can and will be sued if or when you use it, know that their will be a criminal investigation and you may be found guilty if your actions were considered unjust (IT MUST BE A DEADLY FORCE SITUATION, not loss of property). Have a lawyer on retainer, I do.

The argument that the bad guys get the guns off of the black market is a bad one.  It is not true. Yes, they get some of their guns of the balck market, but where do those guns come from and where do they get the rest.  From you!  MOST guns are stolen from homes where they are kept in unsafe places.  If you want a gun, be responsible.  Get a heavy duty gun safe! Do not waste money on anything else, they do not work.  Also, with a gun safe ask what the walls are made out of.  I have seen the $300 to $600 dollar jobs taken apart by a metal saw (Sawzall (sp?)) in moments.  Most of the safes have two thin walls of metal with drywall in between. Not good.  The bad guys would have a lot fewer guns if the legal owners would take proper care of theirs.  

KNOW YOUR SERIAL NUMBERS. There have been a number of times that I have taken guns away from gang bangers that do not have papers for it and can not tell you where it came from.  The gun is stolen and we know it, but since the owners did not know the serial numbers it can not go out on the crime lines (NCIC)

Another place the bad guys are able to get guns are by taking them away from people that carry guns, but when the time comes they can't pull the tigger.  There are a lot of people shot with their own guns.  Consider carefully.

I take guns seriously.  As in officer I have to watch tapes of police officers being killed. These are not re-enactments, but actual footage taken with the cruiser cameras.  I want to know the good guys from the bad guys.  If you are going someplace that you feel you need to carry a gun, then do not go if you do not have to.  Please, please consider carefully.

The check is short and painless if you have nothing to hide.

I love guns.  I have a lot of hunting weapons and a few duty type weapons.  If I am not hunting, and not on duty, I do not carry.

Thanks, I will step off of my box and regain my normal height.  Do not get me wrong, I believe in the right to bare arms, But I also believe it needs to be regulated.  Just consider carefully.

No, Nebraska does not allow conceal carry.

You are not aloud to show your concealed gun. That is banishing. Once again I think taking a course on concealed weapons is a good idea. I understand your concerns. There many places you can take your concealed weapon (parks, grocery store, bars that do not serve alcohol and banks).

States that have ccw permits the crime rates have dropped. Michigan's crime rate dropped last year. Washington DC has the highest crime rate because they have the strictest laws on guns. Canada has a high crime rate because of strict laws. It has been proven in books that strict gun control leads to higher crime rate.

The reason I took the course is that I deal with lots of money  and also education purposes. Even though went out once with it concealed it was an odd feeling. Just because I took it does not mean I will be carrying it all around. People that do take the course are careful to obey the laws.

As for how criminals get their guns that we are trying to figure out. To say criminals get there guns from us is hard to believe. I believe people that own guns, criminals would want to avoid. Why would a criminal want to risk his/her life when the chance of someone being home that has a gun? I would assume the criminal would want to rob a place were the gun laws are strict and the chances of a citizen having a gun is minimal.  Crime happens it is just I want to be prepared.

Travis

i also fully support CCW's however i wish more classes on it were availible to ppl like me out in the boondocks. as stated before i am thinking about getting one because of how i carry my HUNTING revolver in my VEHICLE is concidered concealed by the local law enforcement, its in a "grey area" of the law. i have no reason to carry it in public and its really not possible to carry concealed except in the dead of winter when i wear heavy coats. its a Ruger super blackhawk with a 10.5 inch and scope. kinda big for a concealed carry weapon
smile_n_32.gif
granted i live just down the road from the "city" a few years ago had the "honor" of having the highest murder rate per capita in the USA. i have no reason to carry a firearm for anything other than hunting or target shooting. i dont deal in large amounts of money or any of that.

i live in one of those places that are getting rarer and rarer these days where ppl dont look twice when you carry a "high powered sniper rifle" down the street. heck we kept our vehicles parked across the street from the high school loaded up with our shotguns rifles and 22's with enough ammo to take over a small country and never thought twice about it as long as we werent parked on school property. this was only 5 years ago, well after the Columbine tragity. the teachers that knew didnt care. sometimes they joined us on a hunting trip or just to blow of steam and shoot some pop bottles and cans after a long day of classes out on the edge of town.

Rattler

No, There is a law that allows one to carry a handgun and there is a law of concealed carry.  They are two different things.  In Nebraska we allow for the carrying of a handgun, but we do not allow concealed (or hidden) carry.  I have spoken with our local expert (who is in favor of concealed carry) and he tells me that there are only three states that does not allow visible carry. You can have a holster and carry a gun as long as you have a permit for that gun (in this state).  There are, however, lots of places you can not take a gun in with you, and lots of places you can.

Yes, crime happens and you have the right to be prepared.  You take me wrong.  I do not like the idea of concealed, that's my opinion, but I do believe in your right to bare arms.  In Nebraska we do allow a person to carry a gun, visible.  We do not allow brandishing which would be more of a waving around and threatening display.  Do they not allow a normal carry of a gun in your state?  Here you could have a gun right next to you on your car seat and be in no trouble if it is not concealed.  So, here at least, I see no reason to have a concealed carry.  One thing though, for safety reasons, the gun needs to be unloaded while in the car.  If you are not allowed visible carry, but only concealed carry, then you have no choice and I would not dispute your concealed carry.

Also I should add that my opinion could be swayed with very strict rules to the concealed carry.  The reason I could be swayed is that you are totally correct about the drop in crime.  I will not get into some of the rules I would like to see due to the debate it may cause.  I do like the forced education, a very good idea.

My experience (and some studies) show that you are wrong about where criminals get their guns.  I take many reports every year involving stolen weapons.  In almost everyone of these reports, but not all, the owners have left the guns in unsafe locations, ie bedroom draws, and did not have the serial numbers recorded.  Many times we retrieve the guns.  Once we retrieved guns that had not even been reported stolen yet, because they were used in a driveby shooting witnessed by myself and several other officers that happened to be working under cover in the area.  That was one incident, there were many.  We are constantly taking guns off of the criminal and sending them to the ATF for tracking to eventual find out they were stolen.  The process is long.  (In my last department) We even had an ex-officer have over 20 firearms stolen.  He did not lock them up, but he did have serial numbers.  I also know that specific homes have been hit because they housed guns.  Come on, it's cheaper than buying.  Criminal want guns they go were they can get them.  Houses are cased.  They get information about the owners and when they are expected to be gone.  It is not that difficult to obtain information.  Guns are going for two eight-balls on the streets here right now.  An addict will do almost anything to get his next hit. Also guns are bought on the 'black market', but where do you think they come from.  Arms manufactures are not selling to street punks.  Now dangerous Goverments, that's a different story.  That does not mean that people should not own or carry guns though.  

You do take me wrong.  I see no reason for a person not to have a gun (or carry it), but they must take responsibility for the gun.  The gun must be secured when not in use.  Also, I do not carry when off duty, but I have no problem with those that do.  I should correct that there have been times when I did carry off duty.  Those were times I knew I was going into a bad area, but had to.

My main idea in my last post is to point out that if choose to carry you must take the responsibility of your choice and you must be ready to face the consequences.

Nothing changes the fact that if you choose to carry a gun
1. You must be ready to use it.
2. You must be ready to take responsibilty for your actions.
3. You must keep others (but those you allow) from using your weapon (don't get it stolen)

Simple.  I hope this does not offend.  That is not my purpose and as I said I can be swayed about concealed carry.  One thing I would like to see is that people can not carry while intoxicated.  That may sound odd, but we did just have that college girl killed at a party by being shot in the throat accidentally.  He meant to shoot someone else.

I have to agree with Copper here. First of all, most guns on the street are stolen from peoples homes. They are one of the first things a burgler looks for when he breaks into a house. They are the easiest thing to sell on the street, and the fastest, hands down.

Secondly, most people that own guns do not live up to the responsibility of owning that weapon. They MUST be kept in a secure manner so that some crack-head breaking into your home can not easily steal it. My pistol is kept in a double re-inforced gun safe under my bed. The safe is secured through the carpet directly into the foundation of my home. It basically has a handprint on it, you slide your hand in, push the "fingers" in the correct order and the front opens giving me direct access to my gun. I can roll out of bed and have my weapon in my hand in under 20 seconds if needed.

I do carry on the streets alot as well (concealed). In my business, and un-fortunatly my city, I must go into some pretty rough areas. I actually find that I am MUCH less confrontational when I am carrying. I will walk away from ANY arguement. I actually lose my "macho-ness" because I know that I have a deadly weapon on me. I won't use it unless I am in a life or death situation, but even if I get into a fist fight, what if I lose? Some idiot could be walking around with my gun. I couldn't live with the fact that an innocent person could lose there life due to my inability to keep my weapon secure. So I simply walk away.

During my CCW course, I saw a lot of people that probably should not own a hand gun. If you own a gun for protection (lets face it, except in very rare circumstances a hand gun is not used for hunting, you must be prepared to actually use that weapon. A hand gun is NOT a deterant, it is a last resort. The only reason you should EVER pull your gun is when you are absolutly going to use it, and you must be prepared to pull the trigger. As copper said, many people get shot with there own gun. They may still be alive today if they simply did not own one because they where not able to actually use it when the time arose.

Back