What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hamata

Hi Everyone,
New guy here. Just found this great website. Really nice pictures! Thank You!!!!!
Thought I would share a few..

hamandram3.jpg

*notice where they are from...Thanks Tony

WOW! amazing! i wish i had a highland chamber!

Great stuff rlhirst! And welcome to the forums! If you love neps, you've come to the right place!

Capslock

Wow, that upper is great!
I've got about 10-20 growing points going wild on my N. hamata bush but no uppers, it just keeps making shoots and lower/intermediates even though there's plenty of tendril support, light and humidity-it's making me crazy!

Thankyou!
Yes.... I'm afraid do have a dependancy problem.. Is this where we discuss it? hehe!

Swords,
I was reading one of your earlier messages, and you did battle with mites. What did you use? Was it effective?
Thanks Again,
Robin
smile.gif

Robin,
I've done battle with mites effectively with Orthenex. I hate to use harsh chemicals, but after discovering the damage the mites did to my N. mira (my N. hamata was found to have mites, too, but no damage), I decided to not mess around, and call in the WMD. It worked great, and with another application about 2 weeks later, the problem was solved for both plants, and that was about 4 months ago.

Capslock

Capslock,
Thanks for the info. I'll have to look up orthenex. I usually use predatory bugs but They have asked for it this time! So I got this really expensive bottle of akari, and I'm getting ready to nuke em! (I'll test it out on a single plant first).
Anyone use this before?
comments?
Thanks,
Robin

Hi Kirk, Thanks.
regular hamata. Just add good lighting.

RL,

I'm not sure what I had was Mites, might have just been small scavenging dead leaf eaters as I never saw any damage on good leaves and pitchers, I think I probably just overreacted. But anyway, what I used was an "organic" pesticide made with chrsanthemum flowers sold by Shultz at Wal Mart, Home Depot and Franks Nurseries. I don't have the bottle anymore since I'm done treating the plants otherwise I could tell you the name of the chemical in it.
It's ok for Neps cos I misted it on and in 10 minutes mist the plants with pure R/O water since the chemical is a on contact insect killer.
Do not mist any Utricularia with it though, they will die! I lost my big U. alpina totally and knocked my U. humboldtii and U. reniformis way back by getting the stuff on them.:(

Welcome to the forum.
That sanguinea is really cool also! Where did you get that clone?

Cheers,

Joe

Wonderful! Why are the lower pitchers teeth fused like that? It`s very nice looking. Oh and WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!
smile.gif
:):););)

Joe, isn't that an N. ramispina?

Capslock

That last one reminds me of N. x predator.

the 'mum flower pesticide is Pyrethrins. great looking plants BTW. i cant wait to build a chamber for highlands. im going to try a bongso from Tony first but would like to get hamata.

Rattler

Welcome Robin ;>

Looking great as always! Which plant is that red N. hamata?
Tony

Awesome looking plants and welcome to the forum. I want one of those. Is hamata considered one of the ultra-highlanders or will it grow under normal highland conditions?

I'm back,

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]That sanguinea is really cool also! Where did you get that clone?

Capslock is right. Its ramspina.
Wonderful! Why are the lower pitchers teeth fused like that? It`s very nice looking. Oh and WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!
smile.gif
:););)
Thank You pond Boy,

here is a pic from another angle.
ham&ram.jpg

I have been telling it, that is really Edwardsiana since I got it from Tony... I think it's working

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]That last one reminds me of N. x predator.

Yes we are waiting "patiently" for predator to be released. heheh
Looking great as always!  Which plant is that red N. hamata?
Tony

Thanks Tony, could not have done it without your help!
The red hamata came from Andreas. Several pitchers later it looks normal
smile_h_32.gif

notredanymore.jpg

I put it about 20" from new flourescent tubes and they turned that nice red... I guess I should probably change the tubes again!

Awesome looking plants and welcome to the forum. I want one of those. Is hamata considered one of the ultra-highlanders or will it grow under normal highland conditions?

Thanks Steve. highland conditions will be fine for hamata. It's really not a difficult plant to grow, as long as your conditions are consitant.

Robin
smilie4.gif

Back