What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hamata question

Hello guy's, I also posted this topic on CPUK. I have a Hamata question for y'all. I am interested in growing a Hamata, but am not interested in building a highland terra.

So the question is can i grow this plant on a south facing windowsill. Where in summer it will get 7 hours direct sun and at night i can cool it to outdoors temperature. Wich will be something like 12-20° C. Cuz we in the Netherlands have relative cool nights.
The humidity could be a problem, I can maintain a constant 70 humidity, and will be misting 5-7 times a day (same as i do now).

So can i grow a Hamata under these circumstances?

Thanks in advance

Hello

I don't think you would have a problem with the conditions you described. Are you growing any other Nepenthes in that windowsill?

I grow one of my N. hamata in a greenhouse where it can get to 95F (35C) in the day. One time it got to 125F (51.6C) (when my color did not come on) that's the hottest my thermometer reads and the plant had no ill effects. The humidity is always above 75% in the day and 95% at nigh. Even on the hottest day here it will cool down to about 55F (12.7C) at night.

thanks
-Jeremiah-

I've been growing my hamata in a south facing windowsill since mid July. My humidity averages around 50%. Most of the pitchers died on me in a few days, which I expected. 2 original pitchers are still on the plant. 1 closes it's lid most of the time, and the other pitcher had no ill effects at all.
It has only made 1 pitcher for me since I've had it, which was partially started when I recieved the plant. With the low humdity the mouth of the pitcher is not as opened as much as the old ones were. More oval then round.
It has another pitcher halfway inflated and another starting. I'm hoping that these new pitchers will have adjust to the humidity and form correctly.

Yes I grow other nepenthes on that window sill. And they seem to be happy.
biggrin.gif

Ok, so it should be possible for me to grow a Hamata with these conditions.
Thanks allot guy's for the info.

Wich brings me to a next question, what is a good nursery to by a Hamata from. I would really like to buy a nice sized hamata.

You should be able to grow a hamata in those conditions. Just don't let it get to the forties (farenheit). The humidity should ideally be above 85% at all times. Lower and the plant will survive, but it may not pitcher.

Back