What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Halogen lighting?

I have recently gotten involved in CPs and own a VFT. I have seeds for drosera capensis and plan on having them share a 10 gallon glass tank in separate pots. Except when the VFT is cooling down in the winter. I have been growing the VFT in a small plastic fishbowl courtesy of petflytrap.com. I have been using distilled water and a 20w halogen desk lamp. My biggest question is about lighting. My VFT has been doing VERY well under the halogen light. I have not been able to find any literature on halogens and terrariums, only flourescent. I would rather use the desk lamp because of its size and height adjustment. Heat is not much of an issue due to the distance I keep the bulb from the plant. Has anyone heard anything bad about such lamps for photosynthesis?

Well. . . I'd say just about everyone uses flourescent for artificial lighting. They make desk lamps with compact flourescent bulbs too, by the way.

I have heard that the spectrum is not correct for plant growth, but it appears your VFT hasn't read that report. Personally, I use flourescent grow tubes mainly, although I also run a MH/HPS lighting system as well. For your space considerations I recommend 1 cool white, 1 full spectrum 4 foot shoplight set up.

I've got a compact fluorescent bulb going over my collection (at least the part of it not currently dormant). I've gotten good results with it. It's also insanely cheap ($15-$20 for the lighting setup, and that's just b/w the bulb and a little clip on lamp
biggrin.gif
).

Back