What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

H. uncinata troubles ?

Dexenthes

Aristoloingulamata
I'm hoping some of the more experienced Heliamphora growers can give me some help with this.

I'm currently growing two Heliamphora both of which I received at the same time. H. ionasii x heterodoxa has been growing well for me producing large mature pitchers, but H. uncinata has struggled to make juvenile pitchers this whole time. It is still struggling as we speak. I grow my Helis like my Nepenthes with standard highland conditions. I'm just wondering if anyone has grown H. uncinata and found that it likes to be warmer or cooler? Does it want some specific type of soil? More light? All my other plants love my set up, but the uncinata is the only plant I have that doesn't want to pitcher of grow in size.

Any input is appreciated.

Not all Heliamphora species --or even clones -- are created equally; and some species may take several years to transition from juvenile to mature leaves. One of my plants took over five years to produce its first mature pitcher . . .

I'm no stranger to the slow growth habits of Heliamphora. The only reason I ask is because this plant appears to be actively declining, not just growing slower. I recently just repotted it into some fresh LFS and positioned it under some stronger lighting. I'm hoping that may help a bit.

Butch haaaaallp XD !

When a slow decline is observed, I always recommend changing the substrate.
While you have it unpotted, closely inspect root and vegetative mass with a 10x loupe.
Smell the old substrate... should smell fresh and clean. A funky odor is definitely a warning sign.

Then I (literally) dust the roots in trichoderma and repot.
Also begin a gentle 1/4 strength liquid fertilizer pitcher feeding once a month.
Most of the time, even though I may not be really sure why (chemical?, biological?, pest?) this usually solves the slow decline problem

David's comments are spot on, and I'm trying to remember if I have H. uncinata.
Pretty sure I do, and I've not noticed any species specific issues with mine.
But there are many Heliamphora clone lines in circulation (generally speaking), some are clearly inferior.

Last edited:
Awesome! That is the type of advice I was looking for. Unfortunately I forgot to smell the old media. XD

The plant is so small it has no real pitchers to fertilize. Should I fertilize through the soil?

On small and immature pitchers, an eye dropper or pipette will work nicely.
Root feeding Heliamphora is effective, but pitcher feeding has less negative effects.

One of which, trichoderma is less aggressive against phytopathogens in nitrogen rich environments

I too have found that the largest factor in vigor and health is the clone line itself. Many AW clones are poor performers for me, baring a few, and I have all but rid them from my collection. If a plant is declining, my first action would be to refresh the media. If there is evil lurking in the media, I often smell it even before unpotting. The pungent smell is a dead giveaway that something dreadful is attacking the heli and that not only is a repotting in order, but also immediate surgery, with either a trichoderma bath or the use of a systemic fungicide. A heli's last ditch effort to survive is often accompanied by the emergence of many side shoots which are often not of the same size or luster. If the heli was never a vigorous grower for you, my advice is to seek an alternate clone. There is no reason to grow weak clones, unless it is extremely beautiful. Regarding H. unicinata, I only grow a giant seed grown clone which is highly vigorous and beautiful. She is a beast capable of 15'' pitchers with a double bubble on the lid.

26401243311_87586f4e80_c.jpg

26401241241_1bf690226d_c.jpg

Holy moly your plant is beastly Pokie! Thank you for the knowledge. Well now I'm thinking I might have a really weak clone. My plant definitely divided up into many offshoots; it seems to be panicking.

Do either of you guys have any suggestions on what sort of fertilizer I should look into buying, as well as a Trichoderma product that you can recommend?

TY :water:

Holy moly your plant is beastly Pokie! Thank you for the knowledge. Well now I'm thinking I might have a really weak clone. My plant definitely divided up into many offshoots; it seems to be panicking.

Do either of you guys have any suggestions on what sort of fertilizer I should look into buying, as well as a Trichoderma product that you can recommend?

TY :water:

Maxsea 16:16:16 (used big box store orchid fert before etc... not that big of diff)
Ampacbiotech.com for trich

Just my opinion
Heliamphora Cultivation

Last edited:
Maxsea 16:16:16 (used big box store orchid fert before etc... not that big of diff)
Ampacbiotech.com for trich

Just my opinion
Heliamphora Cultivation

I'm not seeing an obvious method of purchasing from AmPac, where do you buy their Trichoderma product?

I'm not seeing an obvious method of purchasing from AmPac, where do you buy their Trichoderma product?

Dex, you can only get their proprietory strain from them directly.

Just call and speak with Kelly, she will know what you want

Av

Call me at 559 266-8324, we do not have a shopping cart on line. I hope this is okay to post and not breaking any rules. If I am please delete.
Thanks Kelly

sweet.... some TF alumni you rarely see anymore

:hail:

Last edited:
I lurk alot lol:-D

Back