What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

H. heterodoxa x minor flowering?

I just noticed today what appears to be a flower scape developing on my Heliamphora heterodoxa x minor. I am really excited, because I have never seen Heliamphora flowers in person
smile.gif
(although I have seen many on this site!).

I also am wondering if this hybrid can be self-pollinated, or if it requires cross pollination or is sterile.

Here are a couple pictures I just took:

Without flash:
heli2.jpg

With flash:
heli1.jpg

-Ben

Outstanding! Well done. I wish my H. heterodoxa x minor would flower for me, but I'm probably to blame since I hacked it up into a dozen cuttings this winter.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I also am wondering if this hybrid can be self-pollinated, or if it requires cross pollination or is sterile.

I just read that vibration is needed to release pollen and flower smust be cross-pollinated. Good question though.

-Homer

Hmm, that's interesting.  What kind of vibration is needed, and at what point?  Do you have a link to the article?

I did a Google search and came up with this link that says Heliamphora can be self-pollinated.  I have no idea the about the validity of the source, but if it isn't true, do you know why self-pollination is impossible?  Aren't Heliamphora both male and female (I don't remember the scientific term here).

-Ben

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]What kind of vibration is needed, and at what point?

Tuning fork.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] Do you have a link to the article?

The Savage Garden page 117

Awesome pics Ben! Make sure to add some pics later on when they open. Too bad you can't use some good, loud rock music to vibrate them!

Back