What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gumballs - More macro dew shots

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
I'm happier with the results of these pics, but I still need to play around some more.

Macro-Dewys-2-050.jpg

Macro-Dewys-2-076.jpg

gumballs-CP-macro-018.jpg

Steve, youcan be my designated photographer! Those shots look like something out of a grade B horror move!

Excellent pics. Reminds me of these bubbles my daughter has. Once they get in the air they get like rubbery and last forever. What plant is that?

Great photos as usual Geck!

Thanks for the comments.

Scott,
Anytime you want to have your plants photographed, bring them by.

Wow. Those pictures are incredible.

very nice pics.
can I ask what settings, lighting, lens was used?
thanks,
Zero

Yeah, also curious which lens+extension tubes you used. Exif data would be nice too. Awesome pics!

Pictures where taken with my Sony Alpha.

I've been trying some different thing to see what results I get. Different lenses, tube combinations, etc. Last night I tried something and it was a huge waste of time.

Anyway so far the best shots have come from my 18-70 zoom lens because I can get better DOF, the extra f-stops are needed when magnifying this much, then with the 70-300 zoom I have.

I have used different combos of the tubes. Most of the time all 3 tubes, 12mm, 20mm, and 36mm all stacked together.

For lights I have a stand that has 2 - 250 MH lights attached to it. I usually have the subject in a makeshift light box. The light box is made by: white tissue paper over some PVC with the lights shinning through the white paper to soften it. I also use a trouble light that I hold at certain angles get the lighting the way I want.

The camera is tripod mounted with shots lasting just under 1 sec to 6 sec fired by remote cable.

This info is for the last shot which is of D.regia.
EXIF-info.jpg

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. Here's a shot from my new Canon 100mm macro. Need to get me some extension tubes!
macro_dew.jpg

Nice, Larry.

I see that it caught some cat hair........

;) ;)

Larry what are you feeding that plant! :-))

You need tubes and I need a macro lens.
I'm looking at a 105mm f 2.8 macro lens. I just have to decide if I want to spend the $$$ for the lens. With the tubes I can get very good macros, but the extra speed in the field would be great.

Anybody missing a cat? ;) Can't go wrong with a true macro lens. That was taken hand held using only natural light.

Wow you have a great camera (and plant) and those pics are amazing. I am a new poster on here and I have had my drosera for a little less than a year. You can check out my post I made in the Introductions section. I also just posted pics that I took today of my sundew with my new Canon SD1000, including a few macro shots like yours. Check em out.

Every time I see these pictures I am absolutely stunned. Fabulous job again. PLEEEEAAASSSEEEE keep them coming!

What brand extension tubes do you use? Canon specific, or Kenko?

As well, what is the background you are shooting against for the first 3? Is it a light box with a black sheet?

What brand extension tubes do you use? Canon specific, or Kenko?

As well, what is the background you are shooting against for the first 3? Is it a light box with a black sheet?

I shoot a Sony so I do not have Canon tubes. :-)) I bought the Kenko tubes for my camera.

I made up a light box with a black background to take my shots.

haha I want to grow drosera in my greenhouse just becuase I have 3 cats ad I don't want hair on my sundews when they shed.

Back