What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gulfport, miss site threatened

• Thread starter CP30
  • Start date

CP30

A Cajun(isc) Carnivore
A site in Gulfport that I have watched for the last 18 months seems to be threatened now. I visited last week and noticed to my amazement a road being constructed through it to a new facility on the otherside of it (maybe in the middle of it). I have not walked the full extent of the site, but it seems extensive to me. Many beautiful S alata!
Alata%20RS.JPG

100_1940%20RS.JPG

100_1941%20RS.JPG

100_1943%20RS.JPG

100_1948%20RS.JPG

100_1957%20RS.JPG

I have some limited contact info that may help.
I need advice on how to proceed.

Save em', dang it is a bad year for alata. Saving a plant is equivilent ot saving a life. Where are our other conservation minded people?

Time to find the owner and getting a permission to collect slip. Make sure the owner signs it, and start saving. BE SURE the plants are in jeopardy before you grab anything!

Don't show up with shovel in hand yet. Before asking to remove plants, find out what's happening.

See if you can find the owner of the property, If you can just, just go to the person and talk to them just like you would anybody else. Fully explain what you want to do and why. Make sure that you let them know that they are in control at all times. Let them know if they ever ask that you stop, or leave their property, that you will. Have a paper stating all of that ready and ask them to sign it. Keep that paper with you whenever you are on their property.
First thing to remember, Be nice. Don't appear threatening.

As stated already, make sure that the jeopardy is real, and then act. As Ozzy said, make sure a signature accompanies any collecting. I believe we need to make sure of any rescues before they are rescued, and keep it all open to scrutiny. If you can't do that, drop the idea. I do believe that there can be exceptions, but you better be SURE about your suspicions.

Thanks for the advice, all. The roadwork seems to have done its extent of damage already, and there are no other signs of development where I have confirmed cp's. The roadway may disrupt water flow and may threaten future growth, but I am not sure how to determine this for sure. I will try to keep track of the area, but it is almost 3 hours away from anyplace I regularly go.
I will contact the several realty agents to try to track down the owners.

Can the real estate agent grant permission?
Can an email serve as permission in lieu of a signed paper?

If these plants are going into your private collection, then "maybe" an email would be enough. But if you plan to distribute these plants to the NASC or another legitimate conservancy group I would highly recommend a letter, with the persons actual signature. If I were you I would even consider getting it notarized.
The Realtors may be a good start. Another idea is to see if the county has a website that lists landowners. You can also talk to neighbors. You really have to use any detective skills that you have and be creative. PM me the address and I will see if I can find out online.

Do we have any attorney's online or access to one
which can create a boiler-plate Conservation form
for rescues so people just need to print and go....

Kirk
Fitchburg, Mass

Kirk, We are working on a form that all our members will get that will have all the info and questions on it. All you'll have to do is fill it out. And then have one of the board members sign it, or some how ok it. We are working on all the small details to make this possiable.

Back