What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Guess what i found...

I have a friend who is a botanist at one of the universities nearby. Today he left for Sydney, Australia to work on his PhD at Sydney U. He knows I'm a CPer and he knows a fair few other botanists. As a going away present he left me these on my doorstep while I was out today:

Night1.jpg

A new Flower???

Flower.jpg

Anyway, I got these and some seed sacs freshly picked from Sarracenia purpurea SSP purpurea. The guy he got them from
Has been windowsill growing them in that glass terrarium in the undrained container they're in now. Should I continue this technique? Will I be able to identify the species when it flowers?

Zac

What a nice guy... I don't know much about growing Pinguicula, but the plants look healthy as they are now, so you can grow them in the same conditions they were in.

Dang, I wish I had friends who just dropped CPs off at my door! I need to get better friends
smile_m_32.gif

As for those Pings, I'm not sure of the species. I'm also not the best with Pings, but I'm sure one of the neighborhood Ping masters will be able to tell you soon...

"Who's yer buddy?"
smile_m_32.gif

smile_k_ani_32.gif
WOW!! Thats nice of your buddy to leave ya those, very healthy and nice looking plants.. Seems to me there doing great in the container there in..

I know, Best Present EVER.

Zac

I've come to find that life is full of surprises. Today I began taking a good look at the
plants and too my surprise I found these. There are two of these grow points:

Drosera.jpg

And here is a shot of the plant in the daylight

Overview.jpg

I'm not a drosera identification expert. D. rotundifolia or D intermedia is my guess.
As to the Ping you tell me,

Zac

I'm not an expert on Mexican pings, so I'll pass. The sundew looks like a D. intermedia that is very sleepy.

Looks like D. capillaris to me...

I grow my MexPings in drained window sill planters. They don't like to be in standing water, it rots the leaves really quick. Although if you are carefull when watering I think it would still work out ok. Just need to make sure you only wet the soil and not make it too wet.

Sundew looks like hel l to me. It is no capillais though GawdoOo. Capillaris has no hibernacula.

Hmph. well it looks just like the dew I got labeled as a D. capillaris

Geezy weezy...what a nice present! Not only plants but I love the greenhouse thingy! The plants are lovely and you got some 'dews as an added bonus.

Lucky you!

Back