What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growstone

Jcal

Decumbent Fanatic
I picked up a bag of this while I was at the hydroponic store this weekend.
http://www.growstone.com/

6ed96c511625b55ff8e09c36727cb503.jpg

ea0cfe1f97d4e35133c3d1dfffb6a7cb.jpg

Has anyone used this product before? Any ideas on the application or which plants would really benifit from this? So far I am just using it in place of perlite. The guy assured me that I was completely inert, but my meter disproves that.

32f32a44400a500fe63071dd955ab87b.jpg

My first test is with a few sundews I have outside. Potted them up over the weekend in equal parts of growstone and peat. Put these back in the same conditions they were currently in. If these survive over the next few weeks I will attempt with some utrics and Neps I have laying around inside the house. (Yup the cape is eating a fly!)

4d1eac50604ada65a3fd40c0b410b59f.jpg

Ay idea or advise is completely welcome!

I use this in some of my mixes, particularly D.regia and a few Nepenthes species. It's great stuff, wicks water great and is very light weight.

I would be curios to know what the EC meter reads after a good rinsing in clean water.
The "smaller than hydroton size" looks like it would be better for my hydro lettuce, cukes, and the likes.

Awesome! Good to hear the positive results. When I read the bag I thought it would be great for epiphytic utricularia. I'll try those next. Just didnt want to kill those and started with some less expensive plants. Guess ill push foward with the utrics!

I would be curios to know what the EC meter reads after a good rinsing in clean water.
The "smaller than hydroton size" looks like it would be better for my hydro lettuce, cukes, and the likes.

That was after the 2nd rinse. Af first you get a low reading but after it sits for awhile the reading goes up. It is a lot cleaner than other additives. It isn't dusty and the water isn't discolored.

I also left the container out in the sun all day. Water was super hot when I tested during the pic. Not sure if that would sway the reading though....

hmmmm wonder if itd amke for a good standalone hydro media.....

Do they say just what the "recycled material" is? Looks like a product I saw at the last orchid show I worked. The product I saw there was made from recycled glass.

hmmmm wonder if itd amke for a good standalone hydro media.....

I was thinking pings. Any other suggestions. I would test it but I only have Mexican pings. Might be too wet for those.

Do they say just what the "recycled material" is? Looks like a product I saw at the last orchid show I worked. The product I saw there was made from recycled glass.

Doesn't really give much info. Found this PDF but not much to it.

http://www.growstone.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Growstone101-Hydro.pdf

Actually the PDF does speak about the product releasing silica. Could be what my meter is reading. Not sure if that level of silica is harmful. Guess not since Cthulhu138 uses it successfully.

I have a few utrics I am going to try it on this week. Mix this with live spahg and monitor the results.

Back