What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growing sundews outdoors

From the posts I'm reading, it seems most sundews are grown indoors. I was wondering how many CP growers in So. California grow their sundews outdoor and if so, how do they handle the summer sun & heat?

I recently started growing my sundews outdoor in a large cookie jar I got from Costco. So far, they are all doing very well. If fact, better than when I had them growing indoor.

Here are some pics:
outdoorbog.jpg

sundewbog.jpg

The sundews in the cookie jar all have dews and growing well, compared to this:

nogrowth.jpg

which is left outdoor exposed to So. California summer weather in a water tray with no dew and very little growth.

How is everyone else growing their sundew outdoors?

The best dews to try outdoors in the SoCal area are pygmy, binata var, S.African and tuberous dews. I would recommend starting with the easy sp. of pygmies, D.binata and S.African dews that are not exclusive winter growers. D.capensis, aliciae, binata var. dichotoma 'Giant', venusta, nidiformis, and many pygmies are good starter plants. Give the plants good shading(50-70%).

Hi Waycool, CP2k gives good advice...and has a bunch more experience than me. I live in Ft. Lauderdale where the sun is very hot this time of year. But I have all of my plants outdoors, shaded by two layers of window screen on a 4' x 4' frame I built. All seem to doing great, especially my Drosera. The d.alicae, which is my favorite Dro. is the champion eater of my collection...it is festoned with the bodies of dead critters (10 to 15 on each leaf) and has produced two pups which I will transplant to their own pots this PM. I water my guys only once a day with distilled stuff. My guys are happy little campers and I don't have to feed them. Oh, Dentes seem to love it outdoors and are the most agressive eaters of my VFTs.
smile.gif

Back