What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growing rules

I was reading a question in the vft topic room and it made me wonder. Somone asked about vft flowering, and some people had the typical answer " cut it off or you will kill the plant" but then others got on with answers that were contrary to this belief. They had a wide range of successes. That got me to thinking, how many "rules" were started by growers in years past to keep us from reproducing our own? They kind of cornerd the market if we had to buy from them every time we wanted a new plant. I don't think this practice happens in todays cp nursery's, but the old rules die hard.
Just a thought,Jack

With some plants flowering to hurt the growth, because it pull energy from the plant. If the plant is weak, it can become the straw that broke the Camels back. I have noticed that my VFT's that bloomed and set seed are not growing as fast as the others. However some plants only bloom when they are stresed. If you fertilize a wisteria vine they are prone to not blooming. Given the time and effort it takes to grow VFT's and other plants from seeds I don't think the comerical growers out there are trying to keep people from growing their own plants. just my 2 cents worth.

I don't think it is a matter of growers wanting to keep us from reproducing our own because it is actually faster for most plants to create divisions and cuttings (less stressfull on the plant too.) Flowering can be tricky on some plants because it does take a lot of energy out of them. As long as your plants are growing strong though then it is alright to let them flower if you really want to see them.

That is a great point
smile.gif

I love it!!!

But the thing is that flowers do take energy from plants ( all of them ). If you notice a plant after it flowers, there is usually a resting period ( meybe short, maybe long ).

The VFT, in my eyes, seems to be a weaker plant that most. I let all my sundews, butterworts, utric, sarracenia ( waiting for Neps
smile.gif
) flower when they want. They do not show any signs of being affected by flowering, making seed.

However, if you have a spare VFT, let it flower, and then notice the growth rate. You will see that something has happened to the plant.

Like Magore said, you hope that the plant was strong to pull through. Otherwise, it might die, or take a long time to recover.

I will let VFT's flower here and there. To see what happens. There is always that 'just spent look' about them
smile.gif
Not pretty.
===

What about seedless fruit? OR sterile hybrids?
smile.gif
I do agree that it appears that some people want to keep things to themselves, and not share!

You prefer watermelon with seeds?
tounge.gif

Cutting the VFT flower stalks off is nothing more than the age-old gardening practice of "deadheading". ..except you are taking off the stalk before it flowers instead of after to conserve more "plant energy". Usually when deadheading you are taking off the spent blooms to prevent seed production so the plant will put its energy into make more flowers and not into making seeds. I deadhead my petunias and geraniums all the time to keep them flowering. All plants that flower use a lot of energy to produce flowers and seeds...that's not unique to VFTs. Some plants will tolerate the stress of it better than others.

I think some people misunderstand and think if they let the plant flower, it will definitely go belly-up. That is not the case. They flower in nature and no one is arround to cut off the stalks! Weaker plants might die off from the stress but the stronger plants survive. There will probably be a slow down ingrowth or resting period as Jaie said. But for heaven's sake don't think letting your VFT bloom will mean certain death for your plant!

Most people cut the stalks (myself included) just because they don't want the plant wasting its energy on flowers/seeds. Personally I have no desire for VFT seeds and the flower isn't very noteworthy so...."Off with its head!!!"
smile.gif

My 2-cents worth...probably worth 1-cent.

Suzanne

Nicely put Suzanne. Out of curiosity... HOW DO YOU GET YOUR GERANIUMS TO PRODUCE SEED??? Mine is a heirloom type plant... Or at least I will treat it that way. My dead great uncle or my great aunt (who is still living) sorta bought one geranium a LONG time ago, and they have gazillions of clones of it. I will keep the clone living. I don't know if its geranium nature, or if its a good clone, but the one in my barrel outside has five flowers... It is a mature plant if that helps but how do i get mine to set seed? I dont even see bugs onit...
confused.gif

Hmmm...actually I don't know. I've always just deadheaded mine so I've never tried for seed. For the geranium you have, I'd take cuttings and root them. Probably be faster to get a mature plant that way anyway

Suzanne

Back