What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growing outside

I'm in San Francisco, and I'm thinking about experimenting with highlands outside. Conditions are:

Day: 60-75°F, ~50% RH... WINDY
Night: 45-55°F, ~75-85% RH

Want to try with:

maxima
maxima x ventricosa
fusca
mikei
spectabilis
hamata (hmmm...)

What do you think?

Mike,
The maxima x ventricosa should be tollerant of those conditions, but this is speculation.

From personal experience, I can tell you that fusca and, beleive it or not, hamata are pretty tollerant, and should be able to adapt. I grew both of those on my deck last year, and my conditions (summer) were:
day 85-95 ~40% humidity (but it rains more that SF, so odd days are >90%)
night 55-75 (yes, big swings depending on weather) ~70% humidity
As you can see, we really don't have a set weather pattern, and the two plants (along with aristolochioides, sanguinea, truncataxventricosa and some others) all did pretty well.

Hey Mike,
I'm in San Francisco too, and have not had great success with neps outside. For too much of the year, it's just too cold. All winter the temps never even touch 70, with many days topping out in the 50s. I've had a N. rajah growing outside for a year that is doing pretty well, but the N. ventrata that lives next to it looks like hell.

However, give it a shot! I recommend using big pots, since they dry out quickly on the rare sunny and warm days.

Capslock

maxima
maxima x ventricosa
fusca

I kow these will work. I have highland conditions also and gorw mine outside.

Thanks for the info folks.  

Capslock, just wanted to say I love your signature.  I'm sure you'll understand when I say...

GOSH!!!  Flippin' highlands!

My apartment is too warm and the outside is too cold.  Looks like I'll have to get a bit more creative here...

Good thing I asked; I was about to order the above plants and just hope for the best.  Freakin' IDIOT!!!!

Back