What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growing Orchids in Terrariums

DroseraBug

Grow Pitcher Plants!
Question for orchid experts. I'm interested in trying some small to medium sized showy orchids that would rely on similar conditions to that of intermediate or highland Nepenthes in a grow chamber with temps ranging from 60F to 80F and humidity from 60% to 90%. What would you suggest? I'm new to orchids but like the idea of growing something either in pots or mounted like epiphytes or even small hanging baskets. Any suggestions?

How about growing Masdevallia orchids?

Masd.ignea.jpg

Masd.RisenShine.jpg

These are pictures of mine, but there are much nicer examples online.

I agree with Dave about Masdies, other than for wondering if there would be too much light, although that can be solved by putting the orchids in shadier spots. Any of the Pleurothallid tribe might work. Or how about Laelias, especially the little rupicolous species that grow on rocks. They are very cool.

All of those look like good candidates and I'll have to pick out one or two to try. What about old world genera/species? Any intermediate growers from similar habitats? What about smaller Bulbophyllum spp. native to Kalimantan, Borneo (1,500 to 2,000 meters). Would T5s be too bright?

Josh is the resident Bulbo expert, but I think he sticks with warmer growing species. He should chime in soon because he can sense whenever someone uses the word Bulbophyllum.

Back