What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growing non-native Sarracenias near native populations

I live approximately 3 miles from a Sarracenia bog. Is this close enough so that I should be concerned that my non-native Sarracenia species might cross-pollinate with plants in the natural bog? None of my plants are flowering age yet, so I'm not worried that this may have happened. I just want to ensure that I don't contaminate the native population.

Thanks

Tom

Isn't is common practice to cut off Sarr flowers unless specifically collecting seed anyways?

Interesting question.. I just recently inquired about introducing NATIVE species to an area that "should" contain them, but doesn't.

Here's the thing: It's possible, though unlikely. Bees can and sometimes do travel that far. It's a pretty low chance, but it's possible.

Good for you that you want to protect the native populations, but I don't think there's much you can do other than cutting the flower off or covering it in plastic or something.

Bumble bees usually have a range of about a mile. This has happened in a bog in Virginia. Luckily we were able to remove the plants, which were very localized.

When living so close to such a valuable area, err on the side of caution.

I would snip the flowers just to be safe.
Better safe than sorry.
Last thing we'd want is to mess up the gene pool of the natives.

Back